Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having what I believe to be a fuel starvation issue that seems to pop up whenever my fuel level gets low enough to turn the fuel light on. Specific questions:

1. When the tank is full, is the pressure from gravity alone enough to compensate for a failing fuel pump? This is my amateur assumption for why I have this issue with a low tank, but not a full one.

2. My bike has a vacuum petcock. If I remove the fuel pump to inspect and / or replace it, will fuel spill out all over the place? I assume that it won't, because there's no vacuum to open the petcock when the engine is not running.

3. I'm not sure if I should attempt to rebuild the stock Mikuni pentagon using THIS KIT or simply replace it with THIS. Pros / cons?

Many thanks for any info!

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
I've never seen a vacuum petcock on those models, but it does have a vacuum fuel pump. Bypass it and see if gravity alone fixes the problem. If so, take the pump apart and replace the diaphram, Chris K sells a kit. Don't forget to put a new filter in, a dirty filter can exhibit the same problems you're having and you can't change fuel filters too much. I use clear generic auto parts filters and mount them just upstream from the pump, That way you can inspect them and change them easily.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts