Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any ideas on whether or not a 97 stock carb jets are adjustable like on a slide carb. Mine is lean and I need to know if I can move the clip or if I need to get new jets.

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
Since the airbox has been opened you need to get a jet kit if it has not been re-jetted. Some swear by Factory Pro, others Dyno-Jet.

If it already has a jet kit you might be able to move the clip on the needle to correct the problem. Where is it lean?

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
some stock needles came adjustable, kind of hit and miss though so only way to know is to open the back of the carbs up and check.

I second just getting a jet kit though

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
The stock needles have almost no taper, so moving them up and down won't help a lot.

Order a Factory Pro jet kit from Chris at http://www.ca-cycleworks.com/shop/catalog/ducati/fuel.html and install it using the directions in the FAQ.

The jetting FAQ was written for a 1997 M900, so you have a great starting point for getting the bike perfectly tuned. Besides, if you go to the trouble of getting to where you can adjust the metering needle, it's almost no additional work to put the jet kit in.

A jet kit isn't all that expensive. Just order one and install it and your bike should run great.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Scott R. Nelson said:
The stock needles have almost no taper, so moving them up and down won't help a lot.

Order a Factory Pro jet kit from Chris at http://www.ca-cycleworks.com/shop/catalog/ducati/fuel.html and install it using the directions in the FAQ.

The jetting FAQ was written for a 1997 M900, so you have a great starting point for getting the bike perfectly tuned. Besides, if you go to the trouble of getting to where you can adjust the metering needle, it's almost no additional work to put the jet kit in.

A jet kit isn't all that expensive. Just order one and install it and your bike should run great.
+1 I also have a M900 and have it jetted. I can't see doing it any other way. Something you WILL NOT regret.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all of the info guys and I will set out getting a kit right shortly. And it is running lean mid to top and surges a bit once it gets up in RPM's. I had a like problem with a flat slide Mikuni that I put on my Fatboy, and moving the needle fixed that but I know that every make has its own temper. Thanks again and will look forward to getting it and putting it in and see how that works.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
yes, the factory pro kit is good, but still lean midrange, regardless of configuration and float height. personally, i would find a ducati guru to rebuild and modify the carbs, like silverback racing in st. paul minnesota, or manly cycles in minneapolis, minnesota. if we have to such people in this freaking cold town, you should have someone near you. the problem is that the different configurations are endless, and only a GOOD dyno will get it right. see the factory pro site for more info.

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
chrisb said:
yes, the factory pro kit is good, but still lean midrange, regardless of configuration and float height.
I don't know where you got that information from. When I first rejetted my M900, it was a bit rich in the midrange. I had to drop the needle one position to get it spot on.

Using a dyno with an exhaust gas analyzer is more likely to get things perfect, but there are other ways that will also work.

According to the SOP dyno (seat of pants), my bike ran perfectly everywhere after the first adjustment. At least it felt good under all conditions with no hesitation anywhere, strong power, and a willingness to rev to 9000 rpms while pulling strongly all the way.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts