Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a M900 (Carb) that hasn't been ridden often over the past 2-3 months due to the cold weather. Last week when I cranked it I noticed that it was running roughly and after numerous searches on this and other sites I decided to add Sea Foam to the gas tank (+- 1.5 oz / gal). The results were not immediate, but as the treated gas started to pump through the system I noticed a smoother idle, easier starting, and a little bit of white smoke which I was expecting from the Sea Foam.

Yesterday, though, I started it again and after a minute or two the engine died. I tried starting it again and the crank would turn but no combustion. I raised the tank to check the plugs (which looked fine), lowered the tank, and replaced the seat. It started immediately but died a few seconds later and wouldn't restart (same as before: crank turns, no combustion). I raised the tank again to be sure that none of the fuel lines were crimped - they looked fine. Lowered the tank again......started right up....died after a minute or two. I noticed a pattern and decided to simply raise the tank for a few minutes and lower it back down again. Same story: started immediately, died soon therafter.

Strange, I know, but any ideas? I'm going to change the fuel filter tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
I think you are right on to the problem area: Fuel. I assume the gas is fresh?

I assume that the fuel tap is on (This caught me out once!) Assuming the pump is working properly I would suspect the carbs. My M900 will cut out if the throttle is opened immediately after starting. It seems to like running for a minute or so on the choke before it will handle any throttle. Perhaps check the choke cables and where these go into carb bodies.

Access is a problem. Sorry not much more to add. Good luck

·
Registered
12 Posts
Check the breather pipe isnt blocked. A regular issue with the carbies was the breather under the gas cap blocking and causing the tank to vacuum. Not sue why the bike wuld start with the tank raised though. But either way its worth checking out to be sure it isnt blocked.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update

Thanks guys - actually I got it running great again by following the age - old strategy: start with the cheapest / easiest things first. Replaced the plugs, changed the fuel filter, added a fresh tank of non-ethanol gas and it now runs better than ever. Out of curiosity I cut the old fuel filter open and found some waxy, dark brownish-red flakes inside. It wasn't rust but I'm not sure what else it could have been. Either way I'm excited to have her back up and running......if only it would warm up in Nashville!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts