Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of breaking in my '03 M800s, and I have 450 miles on it. My fuel light comes on after 80-90 miles and stays on for a couple of minutes, goes off, then turns back on after a few more miles. I read in a British magazine that the M800s should go about 130 miles on a full tank of gas and this I assume is including reserve.

What kind of mileage do you get from your bike?
What is your MPG?
My calculated gas milage so far is about 28 MPG, which is terrible! I really hope this is because I am still breaking the bike in and keeping her bellow 5000 rpm.

How long can you ride before you have to fill up your gas tank, and is there a pattern to the fuel light warning on the monsters?? How many warnings do you get before you're left on the side of the road with an emptey gas tank? How does it indicate reserve?

:-[
I would appreciate any help. Thank you all.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I wasn't real happy to see my light go on around 90 miles on the 620 either. The reserve is supposed to be 3 liters, which should be around 30+ miles though.

I did find, the first time I filled up, that there's a tube in the filler that makes topping off really difficult. My other bikes simply have a hole and I put gas in. The Duc makes me fiddle around forever to get it anywhere near full. Anyone know if there's a downside to pulling the filler and hacksawing that tube off?

I'm getting around 40mpg so far. Less than the 650 single and more than the 800 four.

-Don

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
I got somewhat dismal gas mileage on my '03 M800 during the break-in period also. Right in the 90 mile range before filling up, so that doesn't sound so far off. It really depends on your riding style, but I get anywhere from 100-140 miles on a tank, usually on the lower end of that.

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you fill up at the first fuel light warning?
How many warnings do you get before it runs out of gas completely? Or does the fuel light just stay ON when you're on your last gas resort?

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have the exact same problem with my '03 M800s; the gas mileage is dreadful. Typically the low fuel light starts flashing when I reach the low 70s, and by about 75 miles it's on steadily (with the bike level and stationary). At that point the tank will take about 2.6 gallons, so the sensor seems to be slightly pessimistic. But even if I have 1.3 gallons in reserve when the light comes on, I'd have to run the tank down to fumes to reach 110 miles in range.

Irregardless of when the light comes on, over the first 850 miles my calculated average has been a miserable 28 MPG. I mentioned the problem to the dealer when the bike went in for its 600 mile service and they supposedly tinkered with the injection. (Unfortunately, the tech who worked on the bike wasn't around when I picked it up, so I never got to talk to him in person.) The result of their tune-up? The mileage is now slightly WORSE and the idle is noticeably lumpy to boot.

Other pertinent facts. I'm not a big guy (5'8", 160lbs). I commute to work in light traffic but at least two thirds of my riding has been open country two-lane stuff. I took it relatively easy for the first 600 miles, but I'm not lugging the engine. Sprockets are stock. I pulled the plugs and they're a little on the black side but far from sooted up. I've tried both 87 and 91 octane with no noticeable difference.

If it was just a question of a few MPG, I wouldn't sweat it. But the mileage is so bad, I have to suspect the bike just isn't running right. Although it seems to accelerate fine, I was struck from the beginning by how much vibration this motor throws out. And since this is my first Ducati and my experience with V-twins in general is limited, I really have no frame of reference.

If anyone else has experienced the same issue and found a fix, I'd love to hear about it. This is REALLY souring my Monster experience...

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My low fuel light came on and stayed on. The mechanic says the sensor is no good. So I am waiting on one.
The top rubber filler tube keeps the gas from splashing back at you when you are filling it up. If you take it off you just need to dispense the gas at a little slower rate.

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
I've had my 800S since July and do mostly freeway (read commute) riding. My fuel light usually goes on between 125 and 140 miles depending on whether I've topped up the tank into the fill tube. I generally fill up at 150 miles or so...

What kind of riding do you do? Highway, street? Do you get on the throttle a lot?

Uncle_Duck

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
When I do fill up I hold the gas nozzle cover (California) back as far as I can and hold the nozzle so it is just inside the fill tube. This way I can fill up past the bottom of the fill tube.

If I don't do this and just hold the nozzle in, at a slight angle, as far as it will go with the cover held back, and depending on the pump nozzle, I can generally fill the tank to the bottom of the fill tube. When I fill up at 150 miles or so it usually takes 3 gallons or a bit less; 2.8 or so...

Uncle_Duck

·
Registered
461 Posts
OK so far, but how about if I hacksaw that filler tube off?

I peel back the foreskin when filling too. Stupid Cali emissions laws.

-Don

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
PaulB--

I'm new to the twin scene too and noticed the increased vibration as compared to an inline four...

I went and bought what is called a "Bar Snake".

www.barsnake.com

It cost 25 bucks or so and I got it in three or four days. It only took ten minutes to install. My hands no longer get numb except on much longer rides.

Uncle_Duck

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am a little worried about mine also. I only get about 75 miles to 80 before I need to fill it up.

I am thinking something mixture wise must not be setup right also. How does yours peform in the 6k to 8k rpm range? Mine feels a little sluggish compared to the 4k to 6k zone.

Just figured I would get it looked at when I get a open airbox and power commander.

·
Registered
413 Posts
My S4R has 1000 miles on it--- Sometimes I get <30mpg and other times 40mpg--- I switched from 87 to 91 octane and I think it has improved the gas mileage, however at the altitude I live at (5000 ft) higher octane is not supposed to matter.

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
My 01 750 always gets 93 octane and I live and ride between 3000-5000 feet. I got over 50mpg when it was stock and with the jet kit air filter and pipes it went down to about 44mpg. Mine is carbed. I thought fuel injection was MORE efficient?

-Patrick

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I haven't really kept accurate track of the mileage on my M1000, but I know it is horrendous. My fuel light goes on at 150-160km (100miles) with city riding. I have noticed that highway riding drastically improves the mileage. Exclsuive highway/twisties riding I don't see the fuel light until 200+km.

I've sort of just accepted that's the way it is.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
On my S4 I typically get around 110 miles per tank. On my Yamaha 600 i would get close to 200 miles per tank, granted it was a 4.8 gallon tank vs. the 3.5 (I believe) that our monsters have. Regardless, the Ducati gas mileage is much less.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
the max i went was about 120 miles on one tank. what drives me nuts is how it goes on and off. MAKE UP YOUR FREAKING MIND! its like a high maintenance woman for jeebus' sake.

But since I went down one tooth in the front and up 2 in the back, the light has started flashing on and off about 15 miles sooner. if thats the sprockets itself or my harder acceleration, i dunno.

·
Registered
136 Posts
My light comes on between 125-130 miles. I usually put in about 2.3-2.6 gallons. Unless my calculations are wrong I'm gettin' around 50 miles a gallon.........no commuting, mainly mountain roads. M800 with Arrow CF high mounts. I guess I should count myself lucky.

Side note: With stock pipes and the emission cannister I got 42-45. New slip-ons for Christmas? Any reason will do in my book.....

·
Registered
69 Posts
Uncle_Duck,

Thanks for the Bar Snake tip. I do suffer the numb hands thing - especially with thin summer gloves - so I'll give it a shot.

To answer your question about the kind of riding I do, it's almost no highway miles. I'm either commuting to work on surface roads at under 50 mph (1st, 2nd, 3rd gear - occasionally up into 4th) or else cruising for fun out in the country. I know I'm not going to set any fuel economy records riding in the city, but on the other hand I'm not thrashing the bike. And the mileage I get seems remarkably consistent.

You said you fill up at 150 miles? How much does the tank take at that point?

·
Registered
69 Posts
So to summarize for the M800 guys: some of us (me, Vasil, s2travis) have to refuel before 80 miles and are averaging around 28 MPG. Meanwhile others (Uncle_Duck, Lee) are getting over 130 miles per tank for an average of nearly 50 MPG.

You figure riding style and conditions must have an effect, but that's still one hell of a difference! Much as I like Lee's slip-ons-for-Christmas solution, I can't shake the feeling that the bike must just be running way out of tune. Fuel injection is supposed to make these kind of problems go away, isn't it?

·
Registered
136 Posts
I agree with you Paul, there's something not quite right. My wife's car gets better mileage than your monster. All of us 800 owners are still under warranty. If I had to fill up before every ride....my next ride would be to the dealer. Demand a solution or a new bike. 28 miles a gallon? Fuel injection in the 21st century? Something is wrong.

Lee

1 - 20 of 28 Posts