Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently the unhappy owner of a 2003 Harley 883 custom.
After riding it a while, I decided it's not the bike for me, too heavy and slow. I am looking to trade to a new Ducati 800 Monster and would greatly appreciate any input or help you guys could give. I am looking for owner opinions and any advise for what to look for in a new one. Thanks a for any help.
Nick

·
Registered
906 Posts
I just bought a 2003 M800 two weeks ago. I've had a Ducati 996 for about 3 years. I was at the bike shop and just thought I would test some new Ducatis. The last bike I rode was a M620. It was sooo much fun to ride. Good brakes, good power band, good price, easy pull clutch, and a low center of gravity that made cornering a blast. It also looks great. The M800 was the same bike with 180 more ccs. A little more power never hurts. Test drive one and see what you think. I had a Harley once about 25 years ago, but I didn't like it.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I test drove a 883C Custom before I decided on the M800 and you are absolutely right about the Sportster's weight and it's lack of power. If I remember correctly it weighes over 500 lbs and has a whopping 45 hp. It seemed top heavy and Slooooooow. I could not be happier with my Duc. With the addition of a set of CF high-mounts........Man, you can't go wrong. Oh, did I mention the price tag is less?.....Go figure.

Lee

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How well does Ducati handle warranty related issues? I've read more than a few horror stories.... I have been in love with the Monster's nake look since I picked up my first motorcycle mag. How comfortable is the riding position? (I'm 6'3") I hate to be so inquisitive but my nearest dealership is 3 hours away so if I go I'm probably coming home with it. I also don't want to make frequent trips back for problems.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got a m800 a few months ago. I really like my bike. It does not have monster power but good power. In terms of ducati reliability mine has been very reliable with no problems. The valve adjustments do suck I guess but they are every 6k miles, which is not too bad.

·
Registered
835 Posts
This is one non-horror story. I have a 2000 M750 and have not had one problem with it, ever. I know, I know, I shouldn't write that, it'll probably blow up tomorrow.
It has just been dead solid reliable. It doesn

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a 2000 M750 and also haven't had any troubles minus the stock clutch slave, which is a small part. I am also 6ft 3 and the ride position is sporty but comfortable - however my stock seat is not comfortable to me. I'm looking at replacing it with a sargeant seat.
So far it's been a great bike. Oh yeah, and the 800 has more power than my 750 obviously.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I don't know, the stock seat isn't too bad. But like after 2 hours I need a little break to get the feeling back in my a$$.
And like you said, stuart, the M800 is a more powerful, more refined motor.
As far as waranty issues, I didn't have any, so I can't comment there.
Do the Mash, the Monster Mash!

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
I got a barely used M800 about 2 months ago and have enjoyed it thoroughly!!! Even took it to Deal's Gap and tested it's handling ability. 3000 miles later, and it's still rockin'!!! This is my 2nd bike and what a great upgrade. Even long trips are cool...but a sargent seat was a must....now my ass doesn't get sore.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Ciao,
it will be different if you compared it to Sportster.
Monster 800 is a great bike as HD 883, and different.

Go test ride,

Skier

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The 800 is a wonderful bike. You'll be very happy you made the change. I've had mine for just under a year now. Not a single problem or complaint to report.
I never thought that twisties could be so much fun.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You guys all have been very helpful. A soon as this minor delay called winter lets up, I think I'm going Duc shopping.... I'll let you know how it turns out.
Thanks everybody!

·
Registered
434 Posts
The M800 has roughly the same power as my older M900, it's no powerhouse by todays standards, but on rides with friends I have no problem keeping pace with R1's and 929 ridden at street pace. It has more then enough power to thrill and great handling. I'm guessing you'll love it. The only caveat with Duc's is that they are very small bike physically, I'm only 5' 8" and I can easily flat foot it. I'm always surprised by how small the bike looks when I see a pic of myself on the bike. If you're bigger then me, you may find it a bit small, but if it fits, you'll love the bike.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I'm 6'1" and 220 and I fit on my M750 just fine. In fact I find it very comfortable... for 2 hours at a time that is. But it's not the ergos that bother me after about 2 hrs, it's the seat.

·
Registered
9 Posts
nzirbel,

I've been riding a M800 Dark since April. Absolutely no negative issues.
Buy it. The more you ride it, the more you'll love it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts