Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Bought 796 3 weeks ago. During cold mornings it has been pretty difficult to start. Many times it required 3-4 times to press starter button and when it starts you have to continue pressing starter button couple of seconds to keep motor running. I have read similar issues with M1100.

This morning I measured battery voltage to be 12.2V (lights on). After riding battery voltage was about 12.5V. Any ideas is the battery voltage in correct range.
Edit: There is a M696 battery question in the forum where it was stated that below 12.8V battery is dead. I do not know whether lights were on/off during that testing. Could someone check voltage before start from 796/1100?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have not had the opportunity to ride my 796 since Friday evening. I just walked into the garage and turned on the key, then scrolled to the voltage display. Voltage reading is 12.3. Headlight was on. Temperature in my garage is 78 degrees Fahrenheit (approx. 25.5 degrees Celsius).

The Owner's Manual does not state what constitutes "good" voltage...though based upon the information provided in the manual, you could expect "good" voltage to be between 12.1 and 14.9 volts.

From the Owner's Manual: If the voltage is between 12.1 and 14.9, the voltage reading will remain steady. If voltage is between 10 and 12 volts or between 15 and 16 volts, the display will flash. If voltage is less than 9.9 volts, the word "Lo" will flash and the Engine Diagnostic Light will illuminate. If voltage is 16.1 or higher, the word "Hi" will flash and the Engine Diagnostic Light will illuminate.

Hope this information helps...

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've had some issues with my battery and I've switched the battery twice now since buying the bike (-08 699) little over a week ago. The first one never showed voltage over 12.8 even when charged full off the bike. The current one has worked ok so far. Below you will find some readings that I have marked down for reference. The readings are based on a voltage meter not on the bike dashboard readings. The dashboard gives significantly lower readings compared to the voltage meter as the bike sucks quite a lot of power with the lights and everything on.

Edit:
I also called a few specialized battery shops and got completely different answers as to what kind of voltage one should expect from a brand new battery. Some said 12.8 is all you can expect and some said that it should go well beyond 13.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the answers. It seems that 12.2V should be pretty much ok since it is from the dashdoard. Dealer made some reset procedure to the bike during 1000km service. According to him it could improve cold weather starting. Have not been able to test cold weather starting since the weather has been lttle bit warmer after service. Starting has been hard when it is +0C - +5C in the morning.

According to owner's manual it seems to be pain in the ass to access battery and measure voltage from there :(

·
Registered
24 Posts
The battery is a real pain to get access to and thats excatly why I installed a Cetek charger plug to it so that I can plug the charger in with no hassle and measure the voltage in seconds if I need to.

I highly recommend it. You can leave your bike plugged in for the winter and the charger automaticly charges the battery if necessary and you don't need to worry about it, let alone take apart half the bike to reach the battery.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The battery is a real pain to get access to and thats excatly why I installed a Cetek charger plug to it so that I can plug the charger in with no hassle and measure the voltage in seconds if I need to.

I highly recommend it. You can leave your bike plugged in for the winter and the charger automaticly charges the battery if necessary and you don't need to worry about it, let alone take apart half the bike to reach the battery.?
That is exactly what i planned to do before winter. Do you have to have empty gas tank before doing this modification?

·
Registered
24 Posts
You don't have to, but the less it weighs the easier the operation will be. I recommend having someone help you (hold the tank) while you work on the battery. The tank doesn't have to be unplugged from all the hoses if you have help and you don't need to actually take the tank completely apart from the bike.

My finnish manual doesn't have the instructions for removing the tank, but the english PDF version I downloaded from the Ducati website had instructions to remove & reinstall the battery.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts