Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am SOOOOoo confused. I bought a 2000 M900 a couple months ago but when I went to insure it the insurance company said it was a 750. It sure looks like a 900 6 speed gearbox, pie pan clutch cover....
UNfortunately I have not been having the most fun with my NEW bike.:p
First it has a starter sprag issue, which the PO said wasn't normal. Well after a month and a half I can say ... its normal. I tried fixing it with the spring from a lip seal for a 50mm shaft and it worked for about 5 clicks of the button.:rolleyes:
My bike is missing the airbox and has pods installed. That's great when you have a bike for its entire life. Not so great when you are trying to diagnose a "not run" issue.
Oh yeah... did I mention now it doesn't want to run? The first time that happened t turned out to be a wire that wasn't really plugged into the coil properly. This time? I'm not sure yet but with the starter sprag still slipping... I'm not so optimistic that I will find out today. I think I will try the KTM dealership for the starter sprag that people seem to be happy with.
What I would really like to know is... Are there engine numbers that go with frame numbers? Do people know what engine numbers were made for what years? I don't really care if the bike is a bastard but I'd like to know what engine I am working on!???
ANy and all input would be helpful.. I'm in San Jose... If anyone is in the area.
If you hear about a garage fire near down town... its too late.;D

Jeremy

·
Registered
238 Posts
Hi !

Well as stated in my workshop manual :

« Each Ducati motorycle has two identification numbers: the frame and the engine number. The frame and engine number identify the motorycle model. Etc...

Data punched on engine 1) Manufacturer's name Ducati Motor ( ZDM)
2) Engine capacity (cc)
3) Cooling system type ( W or A)
4) No. of valves per cylinder
5) Progressive production No. »

You'll be able to find the engine number on the oil pan at the bottom of the engine next to the kickstand. Well at least this is where I found mine...

You'll know then if you're dealing with a 750 or a 900.

Hope this helps.

Good luck

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Engine number?

That's not what my engine number looks like. My engine number starts with "LC4T" then a production number of 6 digits....

My Frame number has the VIN and it starts with ZDM
Z=Italy
D=Ducati
M=Motorcycle
the rest of the numbers in the VIN refer to air/water cooled, displacement, etc.

Unfortunately Ducati never had engine numbers correspond to Frame numbers.
:rolleyes:

Ride safe

·
Premium Member
239 Posts

If it's dry clutch, 2 pc cover , it is a 900.
I am SOOOOoo confused. I bought a 2000 M900 a couple months ago but when I went to insure it the insurance company said it was a 750. It sure looks like a 900 6 speed gearbox, pie pan clutch cover....
UNfortunately I have not been having the most fun with my NEW bike.:p
First it has a starter sprag issue, which the PO said wasn't normal. Well after a month and a half I can say ... its normal. I tried fixing it with the spring from a lip seal for a 50mm shaft and it worked for about 5 clicks of the button.:rolleyes:
My bike is missing the airbox and has pods installed. That's great when you have a bike for its entire life. Not so great when you are trying to diagnose a "not run" issue.
Oh yeah... did I mention now it doesn't want to run? The first time that happened t turned out to be a wire that wasn't really plugged into the coil properly. This time? I'm not sure yet but with the starter sprag still slipping... I'm not so optimistic that I will find out today. I think I will try the KTM dealership for the starter sprag that people seem to be happy with.
What I would really like to know is... Are there engine numbers that go with frame numbers? Do people know what engine numbers were made for what years? I don't really care if the bike is a bastard but I'd like to know what engine I am working on!???
ANy and all input would be helpful.. I'm in San Jose... If anyone is in the area.
If you hear about a garage fire near down town... its too late.;D

Jeremy

1 - 4 of 4 Posts