Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi There,

Bike is '97, and there is just a bit of oil, left fork leg, that seems to be getting by the seal. So, I wouldn't mind changing out the pr. Here are my questions:
1. Tube diameter? 43mm? I don't have calipers and was planning on getting my non-Duc local shop to get me seals from Parts Unlimited or Tucker. The 97 Monster isn't listed in their catalogs though. Race-Tech says 41mm? Showas btw, not Marzoc.
2. I have the factory manual and it doesn't appear to be a job that requires any special tools. To get the damper rod out, you use a m4 threaded rod to get a grip and pull it out? (Sorry if I sound like a nob.) Other than that, the job of replacing seals seems pretty straight forward. Please correct me if I'm wrong! Any last minute advice? Furthermore, the seals don't really 'need' replacing, they will eventually, but I'm bored.
Any advice?

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
I don't know when they changed from 41 to43 mm, but a micrometer should solve that question for you. You may also want to change bushings while you are in there.

·
Premium Member
1,174 Posts
a '97 750 should be single front disc, with the same 40mm marzocchi as the 600m. you undo the top cap, slide down the tube, push dwn the spring retainer, remove the two collets and let the damper rod drop. it does have a thread in the end that's 5mm from memory. could be 4mm. you just slide the outer off. they're very easy to do.

run 10wt oil, and it's a good time to respring it - 0.80 - 0.85 are what we would normally run, depending on your weight. the std ones are too soft.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Opps! I meant to type 40, not 41. If you have Showas they will say Showa on the inside of the lower and will have a 17 mm hex on the cap. Since Brad says your bike came with Marzocchis one can assume if you have Showas they are probably replacements so check the size for sure.

·
Premium Member
2,089 Posts
in '97 and many older monsters, some of the bikes shipped with the 'zoochies and some shipped with the showas. Neither was specified for the model. If you got the showa's you were lucky.

Justin

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yup, got the Showas. Thanks for the comments. I think I'll give it a go myself. Springs I think I'll leave. I weigh 155, my wife weighs 115 and it is her bike technically and she'll ride it more often than I. The bike does squat probably more than 2.5cm, but that's okay sag number I guess.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.