Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Second lockdown meant I had to to finally 'fix' the awful grey belt covers on my M750.
I was going to paint them, and had a primer made for plastic ready to go.
Then I ended up in Google rabbit hole and found myself on an RC forum. These guys change the colour of thier plastic parts by dyeing them.
So I got some Rit dye and an old electric frypan.
I thoroughly cleaned the belt covers and gave them a very light sand with 2000 grit wet and dry. Threw them in the boiling black dye and left them for around 15 minutes.
The results were better than I expected. A nice satin black.

Sent from my H4133 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Nice to know, though I’d fear warping an item like a belt cover.

·
Registered
239 Posts
You can actually paint them, they are plastic, so they don't get hot as engine parts. Touch them after a hard ride, they don't even get as hot as my fuel tank parked in hot sun. I painted mine using same paint I used on tank and side covers, Midnight black with gold pearl, and then clear coated with 2 pack paint.
Over four years in Australian hot summers and it's still good.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You can actually paint them, they are plastic, so they don't get hot as engine parts. Touch them after a hard ride, they don't even get as hot as my fuel tank parked in hot sun. I painted mine using same paint I used on tank and side covers, Midnight black with gold pearl, and then clear coated with 2 pack paint.
Over four years in Australian hot summers and it's still good.
I was worried that the paint would event get scratched. The dye penetrates the plastic so a scratch won't show.
I had mine off for a long time, and started making my own see through guard, but I don't mind them in black.

Sent from my H4133 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I painted my SS covers wrinkle black which can be easily touched up. Quite durable so far.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts