Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

Does anyone own both a 696 and an 848?
Or has anyone had extensive seat time in both?

I'm curious as to how one would describe the differences between both bikes. Clearly the 848 is more aggressive in pilot position. I wonder if the gains in the fun-to-ride category make up for the less comfy position.

I really love my 696... I am tempted by the Superbike, however. Each time I sit on it I think, "Man, this is not comfortable" but... sometimes I wonder what a bit more power would be like and what a more aggressive bike would be like in the curves.

I haven't ridden one but would really like a test ride.

Does anyone have any thoughts? 696 vs 848?

·
Super Moderator
3,955 Posts
I'd suggest a good testride; it's the only way to really find out what suits *you* best. That said, though, the two are very different bikes, for very different purposes.

The 848 is a focused sportbike. It's great for fun fast rides, and track time, and not a lot else. It would be a less-then-ideal commuter or city bike, and a crappy tourer. If the purpose of a bike for you is primarily as a toy for fun, it's probably a better choice than the 696.

OTOH, the 696 is a fun bike also, not nearly as fast but plenty fast enough for the street. And it's far more versatile and useful. If the purpose of a bike for you involves any practical usage, transportation, traveling, etc., then the 696 will be better.

The 696 will be cheaper to buy and to maintain, and will probably be more durable and last longer if that's a concern for you.

It really comes down to (a) you own User Requirements Specification, and (b) which, if either, you personally desire strongly.

PhilB

·
Registered
91 Posts
If you fancy a change and want an agressive cornering machine you should think about the Hyper 1100, really powerfull and will beat an 848 in the twistys. Now the new models are out You'll find plenty of low mileage 1100 or 1100s out there, they are also very comfy.

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
If you can, keep them both. I sold my S2R to get a 848. Its an amazing bike and lots of fun, but only on the back roads, where you don't have to deal with traffic/ stop and go situations. It is NOT a commuter bike. Even though it is water cooled, it gets super hot in the city and you definitely feel that heat through/ around the seat even with aftermarket cans. Ergos are not rider friendly in long distance rides. Althugh I have done 300- 400 mile days on it I needed to stop to stretch out every 60- 100 miles and did need a couple of days to recover (maybe that is a function of age as well). Anyway, I do miss my monster for city/ long distance riding, so am looking to get a 796 to fill that gap.

But as others have said, test ride it if you can before buying.

·
Registered
39 Posts
i hear many complaints about the 848 on the street. apparently it is very uncomfortable as a day-to-day street bike.

and why not consider the new M796? especially since you are considering the 848 as a comparison. with the intro of the M796, i'm not sure i see the purpose of the M696 anymore at $1,000 price difference for better looks and more power to grow into. we're talking about a 2-valve/cylinder engine, so it's not a superbike like the 848. the jump in power from M696 to M796 will be noticable, but won't be overwhelming for a beginner.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have a Monster because it is a sportsbike without the fairing and a less focused riding position. So if you want something with the performance of the 848 + adjustable suspension and the comfort/looks of the Monster, get an M1100s. Simple.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts