Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Yesterday I took a test ride on a M696 and a M1100. The M696 was easier to ride, less-intense, and more fun than the M1100. This was my first impression based on a 20 minute demo ride. The M1100 was very nice too. I think over time I might be more satisfied with the intensity and power of the M1100. I am planning to get a Monster, but still not sure which one.

The question I have is based on the fact that (according to ducatiusa.com) the front suspension on the M696 is not fully adjustable, but on the M1100 it is. I like to fiddle with the suspension settings to get it just right for me. The M696 did feel really good as it is (nothing I felt I needed to adjust), but I wonder if this is going to be a problem for me with the M696. Are most people satisfied with the suspension on the M696? (The M1100 felt a little rough-riding but I know I can change that).

Also, what's up with the hard-to-twist throttle on the M1100? I found my right hand got tired of squeezing and twisting. I had to relax my hand from time to time, open it up and use the palm of my hand, and make sure I supported myself with my legs and abs to take weight off the wrists - and still my right hand was tired after 20 minutes. Is there a way to lower the twisting tension, like an easier throttle spring or something like that?

Thanks.

·
Registered
241 Posts
No problem with the throttle on my 1100. May have been something out of sorts with the one you rode. I think the biggest difference you will find is the additional torque available on the 1100. If you spend some time around town the curve of the 1100 lets you avoid alot of shift changes. The occasional two up ride is also smoother.

·
Registered
13 Posts
It all boils down to the use you'll give to it. I have a M696 for almost 3 weeks and I love it... looking back if I would have to choose again I might have gotten the 1100... But mainly because I'm insane and I would like more torque/power, but that's not because the M696 is not giving me what I need for my daily commute.

I found the front suspension of the M696 a bit hard, having the ability to tweak it would be a nice to have... but I guess I'll get use to it.

If you have the $$$ just go for the 1100, but if you are a bit stretched value for money the M696 is a better choice (my opinion... I still want an 1100 :)). I would also have to agree with bcmonster on the two up rider comment.

BTW - the single swingarm of the 1100 is way too cool to let it pass ;D

Either option is a totally awesome bike, so get your wallet and head to the dealer! - this is a subliminal message that's not written here but would make you go and buy the bike ;D

Cheers
Lucas

·
Registered
86 Posts
I've got the 1100S and am very happy so far (<2 weeks). I never got to test ride the 696 so can't compare. I was swayed by the single swing arm and then got talked into the Ohlms by the dealer.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
2-up riding is something I'll be doing occassionally, so it sounds like the M1100 is the way to go. I think I would enjoy it more in the long run. My budget is a bit stretched right now. Looks like I'll have to keep my Buell Lightning a little longer while I save up for the M1100.

Is the Ohlms suspension worth the extra $2K? I like to fiddle with suspension settings to get it *just* right, but come on, two thousand dollars more?

·
Registered
39 Posts
New Ducati Monster 768

sounds like you should get the new Monster 768. has the great looks of the M1100 (single-sided swing arm) without the extra power. right now the M1100 requires very careful throttle control due to fueling and gearing twitchiness. a 14T sprocket helps. hopefully there will be a solution for the fueling soon. ability to mod suspension is definitely a plus. makes all the difference in handling and rider confidence. my M1100S is dialed in just right. just feels planted and smooth and makes the twitchy low-end throttle managable in corners.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks GEM. My ST4 had the same problem with a sensitive throttle. I hated it. It was like a light switch, either on or off. Coming out of a corner in second gear and easing on the throttle gradually was difficult. Often a smooth corner exit was messed up by too much throttle, then none, then too much, then about right.

I was reading online about a solution that the Sport Classic guys found for the DS 1000 motor. It's called a "Fat Duc O2 Manipulator ". It regulates the fuel/air ratio. You can dial it in to what works the best. They are saying it removes the same on/off throttle in the Sport Classics and makes the bikes much easier to ride. It affects the throttle below 20% throttle openings and below 4000 RPM. It richens up the fuel to make it smoother down low.

I wonder if it would work on the M1100? The website says it's compatible with the Hyper 1100 and MultiStrada 1100, but it doesn't list the M1100. I thought those had the same engines.

The M796 looks like the perfect Monster, but unfortunately the website says it does not come with fully adjustible suspension. Now that I've learned a little bit about suspension settings with my Buell Lightning, I think it would bother me not to be able to change something that wasn't just right. I think I'll look into adding aftermarket Ohlins to the M696 or M796.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I was reading online about a solution that the Sport Classic guys found for the DS 1000 motor. It's called a "Fat Duc O2 Manipulator ". It regulates the fuel/air ratio. You can dial it in to what works the best. They are saying it removes the same on/off throttle in the Sport Classics and makes the bikes much easier to ride. It affects the throttle below 20% throttle openings and below 4000 RPM. It richens up the fuel to make it smoother down low.

The M796 looks like the perfect Monster, but unfortunately the website says it does not come with fully adjustible suspension. Now that I've learned a little bit about suspension settings with my Buell Lightning, I think it would bother me not to be able to change something that wasn't just right. I think I'll look into adding aftermarket Ohlins to the M696 or M796.
Unfortunately, the Siemens ECU does not respond to O2 manipulators. I've been talking to the guy at FatDuc about it. He has come up with another complicated and expensive solution. You can read about it on ducati.ms. I bought an O2 manipulator from another source, but based on my reasearch, I didn't bother to try it since it worked under the same principle as the FatDuc product. There is a product called Rexxer that I've been tracking and they cracked the Siemens ECU nut in the last few weeks actually, but their ECU programming hardware and mapping software are very expensive and geared more toward Dyno shops.

I did not realize that the suspension is not fully adjustable on the 768. Must be the 696 suspension. And I agree, I would want fully adjustable suspension. A lot of people don't realize how much better their bikes will handle if you put a little thought into what's not feeling good and dial in proper damping. Sag is a must so I assume preload can be set on 696 an 768.

·
Registered
10 Posts
It may be the order you test rode them

I test rode the M1100S first and then rode the 696. The 696 felt anemic and boring after the 1100, so I bought the 1100. I also test rode a Triumph Street Triple R and liked it a lot. If price is an issue, I would go with the Street Triple over the 696.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I test rode the M1100S first and then rode the 696. The 696 felt anemic and boring after the 1100, so I bought the 1100. I also test rode a Triumph Street Triple R and liked it a lot. If price is an issue, I would go with the Street Triple over the 696.
That's a bit like saying I ate 2 curries. The first was spicy and hot, but then the next one I tried was boring. Can't compare the 2 and expect to 'like' the 696 more.

Done 6k+ miles on a 696 and 12k+ miles on a 1100S. I don't find any motorcycle boring (but I might not choose to ride it, if I had a 'better' option).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts