Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking into upgrading my stock sprockets on my M696 to
''''45T rear dp sprocket & a 14T front or 47t and 14t in the front'''

what the diffrence once you changed the sprockets?

and how much faster is it on low gears?

also on the highway 60-95 mph how does the bike perform ?

·
Registered
197 Posts
i had a 14T on my 696, and it was much better through the gears. it'a a very popular and inexpensive way to get better acceleration.

i have a DP 15T drilled front and a DP 42T rear on the 1100S. i like this gearing better on the 1100S, although it is much more expensive going up in the back (so to speak).

·
Registered
64 Posts
Way way better with the 14 not faster just quicker if that makes sense. Much better off most 2nd & 3rd gear corners and around town

·
Registered
203 Posts
I have posted in the past that a 14 tooth should be stock. It changes the bike so much. The reasoning is strict noise restrictions. With a stock 15 tooth in 6th gear at 60 miles per hour, the 696 just passes noise standards.

I would say that changing the gearing ( either front drop or adding two teeth to the rear) is equivalent to adding 10-15 horsepower IN FEEL. Not actual numbers, but it moves the power band to make it feel that way.

·
Registered
197 Posts
i have to agree with everything you said.

i don't understand the noise & emission regs with regard to motorcycles, when you see so relatively few of them, especially in the U.S.
in over a year of riding ducati, i can count on one hand how many other 696's i've seen on the road, and i've yet to see a single 1100S, despite covering 4,600 miles on one.

first thing the harley guys do is to put loud pipes on and ride without functioning crash helmets...and almost everybody else changes out their stock cans as soon as possible.

how realistic in making a sensible idea work is that?

my bike is loud and gets 42+ mpg.

no riding tomorrow. massive snow coming to d.c. :)

·
Registered
203 Posts

i don't understand the noise & emission regs with regard to motorcycles, when you see so relatively few of them, especially in the U.S.
in over a year of riding ducati, i can count on one hand how many other 696's i've seen on the road, and i've yet to see a single 1100S, despite covering 4,600 miles on one.

first thing the harley guys do is to put loud pipes on and ride without functioning crash helmets...and almost everybody else changes out their stock cans as soon as possible.

http://www.cga.ct.gov/2003/olrdata/tra/rpt/2003-r-0676.htm

Basically everyone is breakin' the law!

·
Registered
197 Posts
ha! that's great :)

...State law also requires all motor vehicles to be "operated, equipped, constructed and adjusted to prevent unnecessary or unusual noise. "...

which is exactly why i have termis. baffles out. the subjectivity of "unusual or excessive" i believe belongs principally with me, the one who hears the exhaust the more than anybody else.

and she sounds great!

·
Registered
83 Posts
I also put the 14t front sprocket on my 696. It definitely was a good upgrade. The bike revs a lot higher at 80 mph, around 6000 rpm. This will affect the 55 mpg I was getting, haven't had a chance to recheck mileage yet. As far as power goes, you do get into the power band sooner so you have the feeling of more.

Jeff

·
Registered
197 Posts
you get 55mpg? how much do you weigh?

i'm 193lbs w/o gear and was getting almost exactly 140 miles between fill-ups on the 696 (normally just under 3 gallons). much nearer to 45 mpg, which seems about right.

i'm actually getting slightly better mileage from the 1100S (about 145 miles).

·
Registered
313 Posts
The snow makes me :(

I don't understand it either. Since you live in the District too, I'm sure you noticed though that in DC, they don't even give a crap about emissions check (or inspection). They literally just send you through the station and slap a sticker on your bike.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Mpg

you get 55mpg? how much do you weigh?

i'm 193lbs w/o gear and was getting almost exactly 140 miles between fill-ups on the 696 (normally just under 3 gallons). much nearer to 45 mpg, which seems about right.

i'm actually getting slightly better mileage from the 1100S (about 145 miles).
I weigh about 135. This mileage is very a typical. I did it twice to verify I could do it. It was a lot of lo rev, coasting to lights, not blipping the throttle on down shifts, riding. It was a conscious effort to get the best MPG. In my normal riding I get around 50 MPG +/- 2.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
I'm thinking of going to the 14t sprocket as well. Does anyone have a link to a good well documented instructions on doing so on the 696? Pictures would help, just like to read about it before I do it.

·
Registered
313 Posts
How does the sprocket change affect the speedometer? I have read in the past about other bikes that changing the sprockets causes the speedo to incorrectly show your speed.

·
Registered
663 Posts
How does the sprocket change affect the speedometer? I have read in the past about other bikes that changing the sprockets causes the speedo to incorrectly show your speed.
If you have an electronic speedometer, yes it will, my S4 speedo is driven byt he front wheel, so it doesn't matter to me. See 2nd post for a site that will tell you speed changes.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I stand corrected.

The speed sensor on the 696 is electronic and it is located on the rear wheel, just above the caliper. From what I researched, most bikes are off as much as 5% on the calibration in speed. A change to 14 tooth may make it 6% or so. I did not notice a difference on mine, thats why I said it would not change.

I dont think there is a calibration to fix this unless Ducati has one. The same would be true for changing the height of the rear tire. It would also cause the speedo to be off.

I would have to say with certainty that changing out the sprocket and getting better performance far exceed any issue of the speedo not being accurate, as it is not accurate to begin with.

One way to check how " off " your bike may be is to use a GPS device and compare it to your speed.

Jim

·
Registered
663 Posts
I stand corrected.

The speed sensor on the 696 is electronic and it is located on the rear wheel, just above the caliper. Jim
Correct me if I am wrong, but if the sensor is wheel driven (as opposed to trans driven), than a sprocket change should not have any impact on the speedometer. A tire size change will, but reguardless of the sprockets, the wheel driven sensor measures the wheel rotation, which does not change regardless of gearing.

In any case, should you need it, follow link below to an electronic speedo healer

http://www.pashnit.com/product/speedohealer.html#universal

http://www.healtech-electronics.com/

There may be others out there. Google is your friend.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Interesting to know. Thanks for the info. I guess I should keep this in mind before I change the sprocket. I just don't want to get a ticket as result of my speedo being off.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts