Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to find that next mod to really get our 696/1100 to be all it can be? Swap out the stock Showa shock for the Ohlins DU737.

With the Ohlins DU737 your bike is going to be you'll be able to get a smoother and overall better ride. With more feed back from the shock you'll feel more comfortable and stable while riding. With the improved feeling you'll enjoy the bike and the ride that much more.

Shocks are currently in stock and ready to move. Call or PM for current pricing.

Still have a couple of these left. We'll install the correct spring for your weight just let us know your weight and riding style when you call or PM.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Trying to find that next mod to really get our 696/1100 to be all it can be? Swap out the stock Showa shock for the Ohlins DU737.

With the Ohlins DU737 your bike is going to be you'll be able to get a smoother and overall better ride. With more feed back from the shock you'll feel more comfortable and stable while riding. With the improved feeling you'll enjoy the bike and the ride that much more.

Shocks are currently in stock and ready to move. Call or PM for current pricing.

Still have a couple of these left. We'll install the correct spring for your weight just let us know your weight and riding style when you call or PM.

How much travel does the DU737 have ? The stocker on an 09 696 has about 59mm and I set it to 20mm rider sag (there is no static sag on the stocker) plus the manual says there is compression & rebound settings on the stocker but there is only rebound ? I think the shock is a POS. I have had Ohlins on my last 3 bikes. This is my GF 696 but I think I can talk her into an Ohlin rear with a little more info.
Thanks

·
Registered
28 Posts
How much travel does the DU737 have ? The stocker on an 09 696 has about 59mm and I set it to 20mm rider sag (there is no static sag on the stocker) plus the manual says there is compression & rebound settings on the stocker but there is only rebound ? I think the shock is a POS. I have had Ohlins on my last 3 bikes. This is my GF 696 but I think I can talk her into an Ohlin rear with a little more info.
Thanks
Dude you posted on the Ducati.ms site and I answered your question. Whilst the shock has 59mm Travel. The rear wheel has 148mm of travel how much do you need?
If you have 20mm sag try slackening the spring to get 25-30mm I bet you get your Static Sag to around 5-10mm

The Ohlins as you pointed out is not that great. It only has rebound. No compression or High speed/low speed adjustments, it is smooth but it does need the finer adjustments to get the best out of it. I would not buy the shock that came with my 1100S as an after market part.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Dude you posted on the Ducati.ms site and I answered your question. Whilst the shock has 59mm Travel. The rear wheel has 148mm of travel how much do you need?
If you have 20mm sag try slackening the spring to get 25-30mm I bet you get your Static Sag to around 5-10mm

The Ohlins as you pointed out is not that great. It only has rebound. No compression or High speed/low speed adjustments, it is smooth but it does need the finer adjustments to get the best out of it. I would not buy the shock that came with my 1100S as an after market part.
Are selling Ohlins shocks ? And you never answered my question I read the manual I know what it says. Or the question on this post. My question on the other forum was "has anybody set up the 696 rear shock and if so what have you set it at. From what I can tell you don't even own a 696. If you read my post you will see that I had set it at 30mm of rider sag and still had no static sag. The questions were simple and never refereed to rear wheel travel why you bring that up is beyond me and what any of your comments have to do with the shock travel length on an Ohlins rear is also beyond me. I'm not sure who's post your reading but I never "pointed out that the Ohilins was not that great" Ohlins has more R & D engineers working around the world on motorcycle suspension then any other company out there. And what they develop is far superior to most stock shocks. Just because a stock shock has 59.5mm of travel or certain dia. shaft doesn't mean Ohilins is the same and the reason Ohilin will change something they will explain it. I've been running Ohilns stuff on race bikes for the last 10 years road & dirt bikes sometimes a fork kit or forks & rear shocks and so far all there stuff has been far superior to stock stuff (even after re-builds) and the reason there stuff is so much better is that they use different components which are different in size from the stock crap. Sometimes an Ohlin up grade will be found at a race track and that up grade makes it to the dealer before the year is out thats how on top of it they are. So unless you have set up a 696 stock shock & then used an Ohilns on the same bike then save your comments as they do not have any first hand knowledge on very specific questions. I was hoping to get input from someone who has really flogged a 696 and had a few tips on how they got the suspension sorted.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Link - Why so aggressive?:p
You obviously don't need any help. Ever been suckered in by brand name, by any chance? Ohlins do make some awesome stuff but the standard shock on the 1100S is not one of them. A properly sorted Showa or Sachs is just as good for the street and in some cases MOTOGP.
Can't get Static Sag (Which should be the first thing you set up). How would I know? Oh I read it twice you were moaning about it TWICE on TWO separate forums.

Your racing knowledge is such that you do not understand the correlation between Wheel travel and shock travel.
No I haven't flogged a 696 it doesn't have enough power for me to own one. But I do flog an 1100S :)

Your comments are near verbatim on this thread as they are on the other. If your going to be aggressive then maybe you should use some of that RACING Knowledge and do some research into the problem (Try Google) rather than expecting others to answer your questions, then get flamed for trying to help you.

You sure the 696 is not YOURS. You sound a bit embarrassed you keep referring to it as your GF's, who cares, it could be your Mom's, I don't think the majority of Ducati owners are that shallow to GAF who's bike it is.

Hope you work it out, before your next RACE ;D

·
Registered
32 Posts
I just setup a 696 with the stocker. Backed the preload rings all the way to the stops or end of thread. Now has about 30mm rider sag, and about 15mm static.

VERY harsh and I am 185 lbs. This is my wife's bike and she is only 130 lbs so we need a spring/shock swap. I also need to lower 2" from the 30.3" stock height.

Anyone know of another shock/spring that will work?

P.S. Like Link said, the manual says it has compression adjustment, but I still have not found it and no mention of it in the shop manual.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I just setup a 696 with the stocker. Backed the preload rings all the way to the stops or end of thread. Now has about 30mm rider sag, and about 15mm static.

VERY harsh and I am 185 lbs. This is my wife's bike and she is only 130 lbs so we need a spring/shock swap. I also need to lower 2" from the 30.3" stock height.

Anyone know of another shock/spring that will work?

P.S. Like Link said, the manual says it has compression adjustment, but I still have not found it and no mention of it in the shop manual.
Now that Ohlins is making a rear shock for the 696 you should contact Dan Kyle at dankyleracing He's on the west coast but is an Ohlins Guru & will be able to get the rear sorted out. This may sound strange but after putting on the 848 forks the stock rear shock works really well I am amazed at how well it works I thought it was a POS. I think the bike was just un balanced with the stock forks. I would like to try an Ohlins rear just to see if there would any improvement but at this point the handling is near perfect. My GF is about 145 so the rear spring works at 30mm sag and there's still plenty of thread showing below the adj. nuts.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Now that Ohlins is making a rear shock for the 696 you should contact Dan Kyle at dankyleracing He's on the west coast but is an Ohlins Guru & will be able to get the rear sorted out. This may sound strange but after putting on the 848 forks the stock rear shock works really well I am amazed at how well it works I thought it was a POS. I think the bike was just un balanced with the stock forks. I would like to try an Ohlins rear just to see if there would any improvement but at this point the handling is near perfect. My GF is about 145 so the rear spring works at 30mm sag and there's still plenty of thread showing below the adj. nuts.
That is interesting. Traxxion dynamics, is going to send me some springs to try.

Got in a bumpy sweeper at about 70 this morning, had the wallow on the forks folks have mentioned, the multi would have ate that curve. LOL.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'm not sure if you saw this on the other forum post but by adding or taking away length of the top shock mount clevis changes the ride height at about 2mm of length equal about 6mm of ride height I put an 1100 clevis on the 696 and it raised it 35mm which was too much so I shimmed the stock one with 2-2mm washers & got about 12mm in ride height. You may be able to figure out a way to take away materail from the stocker & loose some ride height or have a new one fabracatied if you could get 8mm out of it you will pick up an inch in ride height. I have an extra stock clevis if you want one to mess with.

The multi would have taken that turn at about 90 with no problem !

The best thing about the 848 fork swap is the GF feels so much more confident She is now much faster in the corners. There's a section of road we ride a lot & She would always be around 45-50mph through this section of about 7 quick turns, after the fork swap She went through there at 60-65mph & when I told Her that's the fastest you've ever been through there Her comment was "really ? It felt like I was going slow through there"
Anyway like you mentioned I'd go slow & get the ride height & spring rate sorted let Her ride for awhile then when She feels the need to keep up with the Multi do the fork swap !

·
Registered
32 Posts
Thanks for that. I am actually real close with the shock and sag with OEM spring. Cut the seat ( I have a spare to play with) down 1", but didn't go far enough back, so have to do it over again tomorrow. But she is on the balls of her feet with that mod.

I took the lock ring off the shock, to allow the adjustable collar to bottom out at the end, gave me about 3/16" more on the shock which like you said is 60% more on wheel travel or sag in this case.

Bumps willl eject you from the seat at speed tho. May play with the dampening some more.

Right at 600 miles so I am declaring 7k is officially in the game now.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts