Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another M695 noob question:

Proper cold startup involves moving the fast idle lever all the way back, starting the bike, and then manually adjusting the lever as needed maintain the desired warmup idle speed. This is a FI '07 model with <100miles on it.

Is it normal for the idle speed to slowly oscillate between ~4k and 1k rpm for the first few minutes? I tried moving the lever forward somehwat without much improvement (still got a slow oscillation). Should the monster be doing a better job of maintaining a stable fast idle during initial warmup? What is the preferred warmup idle rpm? I'm in northern CA, so temps are typically low 60ish this time of year (brrrrr).

BTW, I'm having a blast with my new Monster!!!

BK

·
Registered
326 Posts
Perhaps the cable on the fast idle is out of adjustment?

Try this with the engine off first. Close the fast idel lever, twist the throttle a few times (open a little bit and then closed, and repeat). Look under the fuel tank on the right side of the bike (as seated) and make sure the black plastic throttle cam is moving. Now, leave the twist grip alone and work the fast idel lever back and forth while watching the same area. You should see a small metal plate moving back and forth just below the plastic throttle cam. This is where you will adjust the fast idle cabe to get the best results.

If the cable is not opening enough the cam will not go all the way to the stop. If it never closes your idle speed will be artificially high. When I got my bike the fast idle cable was not adjusted correctly and it basically did nothing. Now, it works beautifully.

Also, you mentioned occilating revs. Try this. With the bike running in neutral turn the bars all the way to the right, stop, and then all the way to the left, stop, and then back to center. If your revs fluctuate you may need to adjust the throttle of fast idle cable to eliminate this change in revs.

Good luck,

·
Registered
355 Posts
Mine ('07 695) idles with a bit of oscillation when it's first warming up (with choke fully engaged for the first couple-few minutes). I then cut it back to 'half choke' for another minute or two, then fully disengaged (per the owner's manual) prior to starting out. By the time I'm at half choke, the oscillation has mostly subsided, and with choke out, it's idling pretty evenly overall. You might want to be sure that the choke is fully out (pointing straight up or as far as it'll go toward the front of the bike). If that doesn't do the trick, take it back to the dealer and have them check / reset the timing & idle speed.

·
Premium Member
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, guys. I'll check those things out.

After she warms up the idle is rock-solid. It's the slow oscillations over such a wide rpm that have me scratching my head.

BK

·
Registered
130 Posts
I start mine with the fast idle lever back all of the way(towards tank). Usually idles around 2000 rpm and slowly goes to 2500 rpm until I push the lever forward. Doesn't oscillate at all. 60's aren't cold. ;D I rode to work a couple of weeks ago and it was 23. Didn't think the Duc was gonna start. LOL

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
My first few weeks starting my 695 were rough. It always stalled if I didnt have the idle lever fully on and this was in the summertime. I only kept it on for about a minute, no longer than that. I think longer than that and its too much for the bike to handle. Once the idle is really high for the minute put the lever all the way back off. It should idle lower and consistantly better now. After a few hundred miles and several tankfulls this went away and I was able to start the bike without the lever at all. Actually, its been in the 40's sometimes when starting and warming up my bike and I dont need the lever at all. It fires right up into a steady idle.

G

·
My new 695 never displays any oscelation on cold startup. I do not know what the manual states, but while gentley twisting the throtlle back slightley (to allow the fast idle cold start cam to advance easily on the throtle body) I go to full advance on the cold start lever for startup, start it, and then quickly back off to find a nice 1500 to 1700 rpm idle. It idles very steady, no oscillation. I leave the bike idling like this (1500 to 1700 rpm) for 5 to 6 minutes to warm up. I then make a couple of low spead 1 and 2 gear passes down the road until the "cold" display goes off and then take it out of the nieghborhood I live in.

60 Degrees is Warm!!!!! It was a lot colder here!!!!!!!

I did have some wierd idling, and stalling at startup when I fist got the bike. My bike came with a full tank of gas. When that gas was gone and by 2-300 miles on the odometer, those problems went away.

My suggestion to you on top of the already provided advice, is if there is nothing sticking in the warm up lever advance or cam on the throttle body, run a cople of tankfuls of gas through it and if it does not clear up take it back to the dealer.

Brian F.

Life's Short,

Ride Fast!!!!!! :angel:

·
Premium Member
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks again, guys. I'll get some more mileage on her and have the dealer take a look at the 600 mile service if the oscillations are still an issue. Good to know that the cold oscillations are not normal after things are settled in.

BTW, winter finally arrived here. I woke up today and I'm not sure, but I think I saw some frost on the lawn. I hate to rub it in, but I dig CA winters. I did my time with a snow shovel in an earlier life - never again if I can help it!

BK

1 - 8 of 8 Posts