Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of either a used low miles M800. Probably an 03 - 04 or a new M695. I had an 01 M750 for 4 years but sold it to buy my house. Looking to get back on a duc without breaking the bank. I like the look of the 695 I like the two cans it looks like my 750 did but I wish it had an oil cooler. a new S2R 800 would be my first choice but probably a touch over my budget right now.

any thoughts.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
03-04 800, shop around and you will find one for a great price. I paid $4.5 for an 03 with 600mi.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
any thoughts on performance of the 695 vs. 800.? I like the extended service interval of the 695 adn that they cleaned up all the wiring. No more bread ties up the frame. But I have never ridden either bike. I have been on my 750, a few 748's and an M 900

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Best bet is to test ride

·
Premium Member
1,564 Posts
the 696 sticker is annoyingly big.

·
Registered
665 Posts
That must have been one hell of a 750 if you made enough to buy a house from it.

;D

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Bahumut said:
the 696 sticker is annoyingly big.
Good thing Ducati didnt put 696 stickers on their bikes then.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I really love my 695... but then, I haven't ridden the 800, so take that with a grain of salt. And some tequilla w/ lime, if that helps your decisional process.

In addition to the longer service interval and a warrantied bike, I would imagine one nice difference would be the weight savings. A bit less power, sure, but prolly a bit more flickable in the twisties. Not that the 800s are overly burly... really, you probably can't go wrong either way. If you do go the used 800 route, just be patient and wait till you find one that's been well cared for (complete service records are a pretty good indicator) and fits you right. That's where the test drive advice given above comes in.

·
Registered
108 Posts
695 vs. S2R800: The 695 is still very similar to the 620 it replaces. The 695 comes with a 3-spoke 4.5" wide x 17" rear wheel, dual sided steel swing arm, dual sided exhaust and 73 hp weighing in at 370 lbs dry weight. (NOTE: Just lke the 620 the 695 does not come with an oil cooler but you can add one later). The S2R-800 comes with a wider 5-spoke 5.5" x 17" rear wheel, a lighter, aluminum single sided swing arm, single sided 2-1-2 dual exhaust and 77 hp weighing in at 381 lbs. dry weight. And those are the major differences between the two bikes. Other then that both bikes are still somewhat similar with the same brakes, same suspension, similar engine power and same (wet) slipper clutch but with a whole different character.

It might be too soon to find a used 695 since it just came out. But the S2R-800 has been around for almost 2 years now so I'm sure if you look hard, you should be able to find one in good shape. Good luck..!

[thumbsup]

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yeah the oil cooler is a bummer on the 695. Putting one on after is an $$ pain. I have all winter to figure it out. I might buy one in Jan and have it stored for the winter to get a better deal. Also some great deals left on new 620's that are hanging around but the 620 is so low on HP it would have to be a really big discount.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
ducati1212 said:
yeah the oil cooler is a bummer on the 695. Putting one on after is an $$ pain.
Whats the love affair with the oil cooler for? I rode my 695 in 100°+ heat with no problems this past summer.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have a 07 695 Dark and am having a blast. I can't compare to other Ducati models cause it's the first one I've owned. The number 1 factor in my decision is that "It's a DUCATI", and second is the price. It's a simple matter of economics. I also liked the fact that those ugly wire ties are gone, the swingarm is black so it blends in better. And stickers ? I removed all off them. The ones on the frame was frustrating to remove. Some kind of Krazy Glue adhesive. The 695 stickers on the frame side covers were very easy to remove. I figured that they would eventually come off in time. And did a tailchop with the Competition Werkes kit. Also removed the Mickey Mouse mirrors and installed CRG bar end mirrors. Also removed all those crazy reflectors. With all that done, it just looks so much better. Eventually my next project for it are carbon fiber silencers. Anyways, it looks sharp and is a blast to ride. Hope this helps you out.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I have an opinion....MINE...695 KICKS ASS!!!!, **** getting an old 800 with 7 hp more.

·
Registered
298 Posts
out of curisosity...is it legal to remove those silver stickers on the frame? or is it like the whole mattress tag thing. once you bought it you can remove them.

if its legal, those puppies are as good as gone tomorrow...if not right now at 11pm.
:)

pwned by my own spelling!

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
I´ve had the pleasure of riding a 695 for a few days recently, I can say it didn´t have any of the problems some owners are reporting. The bike is very easy to ride.. a bit too low for me. Compared to my Rs it is very "soft" but it is a great bike!

The bike is very manageable and easy to filter through traffic with, the engine has balls and revs with gusto. The brakes are crap as in they don´t brake enough and lock too easily compared to the S2R800 and S2R1000 (I know they use different setups).

For an easy Ducati ownership I see the M695 as an ideal choice. The SportClassic GT is also a very good option.. it does great wheelies. [laugh]

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
onederer said:
out of cutisosity...is it legal to remove those silver stickers on the frame? of is it like the whole mattress tag thing. once you bought it you can remove them.

if its legal, those puppies areas good as gone tomorrow...if not right now at 11pm.
:)
I hope so. Mine are already gone. I'm trying to figure out how to get the goo off now. The VIN is stamped on the headpiece (or whatever you call it), and the rest is boilerplate. Just in case, I stuck the stickers on a piece of paper, along with the stickers from the tank, the mirrors, and everywhere else, and filed it away.

Any suggestions for getting off the sticker goo without removing the paint? Rubbing alchohol doesn't do anything.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Paolo Sepi said:
I hope so. Mine are already gone. I'm trying to figure out how to get the goo off now. The VIN is stamped on the headpiece (or whatever you call it), and the rest is boilerplate. Just in case, I stuck the stickers on a piece of paper, along with the stickers from the tank, the mirrors, and everywhere else, and filed it away.

Any suggestions for getting off the sticker goo without removing the paint? Rubbing alchohol doesn't do anything.
I used bug and tar remover.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Goo Gone. It's citrus-based, has a pleasantly goofy name, and works like a charm. Just be sure to thoroughly wipe off any residue with a damp cloth. Now if only they made an existential / metaphysical version....

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
I test rode the M695 & the clutch was so easy compared to my old 03 M620ie. I opted to buy a 05 M1000s though, but I had a great impression of the M695!
The clutch on my M1000s is hard in traffic, but I love the power!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts