Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I'm not due for another 20k service for about 6k or so, so I am hoping to get this little issue sorted and get a bit more life out of my precious prior to getting it in for the major service.

I had not long ago purchased the bike and it had run like a dream for a few weeks. One morning on the way to work I realised i'd left the choke on halfway and ridden to the end of the street (about 300m's), and only really noticed because it was running like a dog.

Turns out i'd fouled the plugs, had them replaced, lesson learnt, and I got on with life.

The bike ran like a dream post-plug replacement.

I fired her up the other day and it seems like I have the same problem. It doesn't like to idle unless i've got the choke on full twist, and once I drop the choke off it will stall. It then takes a bit of throttle management and a fair good rev to get it going - and whilst it's not as bad at speed, it's far from good. It almost feels like i've lost a cylinder it's so rough, and with the occasional misfire.. it's practically unridable.

It has never blown any smoke to speak of. Everything seems to be fine engine wise.. but there is definitely something going on, assuming that the plugs are fouled again (I don't have the tools to pull the plugs at present).

Can you give me some thoughts as to what you reckon it'd be? I know I can't be alone, and theres alot of experience on these boards. Too tempting to not ask.

Thanks in advance guys.

I appreciate your time.

Cheers,

D

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
I'd start with making sure the spark plug wires are on all the way

·
Registered
31 Posts
if not a ignition problem (plugs connected and actually getting spark), clean the carbs. I have had several carbed bikes and if they sat for more than a couple of weeks they would run like crap.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Could be bad gas or carbs are junked up. You could try using an additive to the gas like Lucas or Seafoam to see of that helps. You could also Seafoam the engine to ensure the valves get cleaned ect.

This should be done after you ensure the plugs are correct and the wires are on correctly as suggested above.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks heaps for all of the advice guys.

It gives me a good starting point.

Now that i'm back at work, i'm missing the commute on the Duc.

I'll post back the results for future reference.

Again, thanks heaps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts