Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have rebuilt my Ducati M400, i have decided to add a few additional items to the control gauge setup. i had added a tachometer & a fuel gauge. i somehow have the feeling that i had connected the tacho incorrectly, as the bike cranks, it doesn't spark, meaning there is a short somewhere as the battery terminals start to get hot and start to smoke. i have followed diagrams correctly as per the Cagiva Mito & the M400 combined. My questions to fly around out there is, a) does the sensor wire have to connect to the coil? b) is there a better wiring setup out there? c) can faulty ignition coils cause a short to make the battery terminals to get hot and smoke?

Note, that my M400 never had a factory setup for tachometers.

Thanking you for any advice out there in advance

Attachments

·
Registered
491 Posts
We're not very familiar with the 400 here in the States . I think they are very similar to the 600 model, so maybe you could check a wiring diagram for one of those to work out your tach wiring. I doubt faulty coils would cause your battery terminals to get hot and smoke. You have a short to ground somewhere. If it was fine until you tried to add the tach then thats the first place to look.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We're not very familiar with the 400 here in the States . I think they are very similar to the 600 model, so maybe you could check a wiring diagram for one of those to work out your tach wiring. I doubt faulty coils would cause your battery terminals to get hot and smoke. You have a short to ground somewhere. If it was fine until you tried to add the tach then thats the first place to look.
Thanks man, that makes sense, I have the diagram for the M400, M600 and the Cagiva @ hand now, somewhere there has to be a solution, that helps alot, thank you.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay, the ignition problem has been resolved, and you will never guess where the problem was?
A tiny connection plug between the electric starter switch to the ignition module. that little bastard was so packed up with corrosion that it was just flaking out like powder as you tipped it. so got cleaning on the that connection point and now the bike starts with no issues what so ever. even the tachometer works with no issues. if any body wants to add a tacho to the old Ducati M range, connect your sensor wire to the grey wire on the horizontal ignition module ..... its been a long search. If you like, i have done a electrical diagram for my M400 indicating where and what.

just want to thank everyone for the sound advice provided.

I'm a happy camper again :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts