Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

M1200R Sound

5K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  DarR 
#1 ·
Hello everyone.

I have had my 2016 Monster R for about 9 months now, and think its the best bike I've ever owned. Power, stability, brakes - awesome! The only issue I have with the bike is the sound. It sounds kind of like my tractor through the first three gears. I almost think its sounds like it has a bad exhaust leak? Of course I still have the factory exhaust so this could be improved with an aftermarket exhaust. My question to you Monster veterans out there are:

1. Would an aftermarket exhaust correct/cover up the engine noise and make the bike sound supremely better? Or just louder?

2. If so, seeing that there are only about 3 popular aftermarket exhausts, which one would you recommend?

Thanks for any feedback/response.

Ben

#2 ·
1. This is subjective, but my answer is yes. It will make the bike sound better. I just got a 2016 also and I rode on the stock exhaust for a month. It didn’t sound bad, but exhaust is the first thing I always change on my bikes. For me, the exhaust is what really makes the bike fully alive. I don’t know what engine noise you speak of specifically though.

2. There are a lot of options out there for exhaust. It comes down to your personal style, budget, and how you think a particular exhaust will sound. A lot of guys do SC projects, termis (always sound great), and a lot of other random brands. If you search you will see what’s out there. I personally went with a titanium spark exhaust, but that was because I wanted to do something different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 ·
Just to be a little clearer about the engine noise, it has a lot of valve train noise (ticking) - maybe its the "Testastretta sound" and I'm not used to it? And the exhaust has a more "blat" sound like an exhaust leak (though I can't find one)

Ben

#4 ·
termis are the answer imho. sound so good, throaty and not too loud at all. i left baffles in. my r runs so smoothly and shifting is so short and smooth. i feel like you as this is the best bike i’ve had. so fast so smooth and the termis only enhance the experience. as far as engine noise, i don’t find it objectionable or too much. i noticed no difference with the sound or “ticking” of the valves or of the motor. we may just listen and hear differently. get them. you won’t be sorry.

#6 ·
I can't say I had the same reaction to the stock exhaust on my 1200s, but I do get complements on the sound of my Akra slip-on and I think it sounds great bouncing off the buildings during my commute through the city (not necessarily the looks though...). I do miss the double note from the stock exhaust and if the Termis weren't so damn expensive I would have gone with them instead of the slip-on. The Akra also solved part of the 'not enough room for my big feet on this bike' problem, so I'm not sure if that would have been an issue with the Termis. In the end, my extra money went into re-springing/valving the the suspension for my lard ass instead of the exhaust at the time of purchase.

#7 · (Edited)
Hello everyone.
My question to you Monster veterans out there are:
1. Would an aftermarket exhaust correct/cover up the engine noise and make the bike sound supremely better? Or just louder?
2. If so, seeing that there are only about 3 popular aftermarket exhausts, which one would you recommend?
Ben
I concur with what @696DCRider wrote, It's personal. For me:
1) I wanted carbon on a black monster
2) Didn’t care for a two-one-two exhaust which must be removed to access the rear wheel. It's also heavier.
3) Termi's are "priced stupid".

The SC-Project Carbon filled all my needs plus I can install the baffle if need be in less than 2 seconds as it's retained by a "C" clip.
Sounds amazing.

See photos in garage

#8 ·
I snapped last night and bid on new Termi slipons on fleabay. :0 I "won" them for US$860, which is still stupid for slipons, but it's better than the CDN$2000 plus 13% the dealer is charging. Now I just have to let the dealer diddle me to put the upmap on. :rolleyes:

#9 ·
@Brianq103 That's a great buy. Can you get the upmap key from the seller as you can legitimately transfer it to your bike?
If you don't, your dealer can't help you. On that note, I'm in serious in discussion with Rexxer right now for a re-flash and will keep you and the rest of the forum members updated.

#12 ·
Thank you all for your feedback. I went ahead and ordered a SC-Project Carbon Oval from Motovation. A positive note I ordered the pipe on Friday and received it Saturday...wow, that was fast. The pipe went on in a few minutes and does make the bike sound different. I would say the SC pipe is just slightly louder than stock (with db-killer in) and slightly obnoxious with DB-killer removed. YMMV

The sound/tone is overall better, and seems to cover some of the valvetrain noise that is unpleasing to me. The SC-Project pipe is very beautiful and well constructed (as others have mentioned). I think it weighs around a third of the stock pipe.

Ben

#13 ·
Thank you all for your feedback. I went ahead and ordered a SC-Project Carbon Oval from Motovation. A positive note I ordered the pipe on Friday and received it Saturday...wow, that was fast. The pipe went on in a few minutes and does make the bike sound different. I would say the SC pipe is just slightly louder than stock (with db-killer in) and slightly obnoxious with DB-killer removed. YMMV

The sound/tone is overall better, and seems to cover some of the valvetrain noise that is unpleasing to me. The SC-Project pipe is very beautiful and well constructed (as others have mentioned). I think it weighs around a third of the stock pipe.

Ben

I’m a fan of slightly obnoxious lol.

#14 ·
will you need a map or does the ecu regulate it? i spent the high dollars on the termis because i needed the stock silencer replaced and they were cheaper than stock. i might have got them anyway to be truthful. ducati and everything around it is more than most other bikes anyway. i had akro’s on my bmw r9t and loved them. good luck with your new sound.

#17 ·
you’ll obviously know after riding a little. popping on throttle back off and smoothness would be immediate. i would have thought any slip on would not require one. the termis did but that’s just part of the privilege of spending stupid money on a darkly. i do love them though. very “throaty” sound at idle and over all great italian sound [emoji7]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.