Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

41 - 60 of 511 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
The problem here, as I see it, is that there isn't an available windscreen that 1), deflects the windblast at speed and 2) looks like it belongs on the bike.
I'm pretty happy with the Ducati one in that regard, but I'm pretty short.

It doesn't block the wind from the helmet, but does a good job of blocking it from my chest torso.

·
Registered
345 Posts
To answer the other gentleman that called me a troll (hi Sonic Duck !)...It's not about "Ducatis" or being a "Ducatista" (whatever that f'ing means), i'd be saying the same even if we were talking about , say, the new SD 1290, you don't buy a naked, 180bhp monster of a bike that can power-wheelie up to 5th gear if you don't want to be bitch-slapped by the wind, end of.
You don't buy these type of bikes to go on a friggin' straight
I have a friend who has the SD 1290. Within 3 days of buying it, he decided to buy a windscreen. Your argument is invalid.

Some people buy these bikes both to commute on AND to have fun in the twisties with on the weekend. Not everyone fits into your little world.

If you want to wind protection, go buy a Harley and/or a Multistrada, nakeds are not for everyone - they're surely not for the "i hate wind" crowd/demographic.
So if someone loves the naked look, the performance, size, etc... of the naked, and it's perfect in every way aside from the windscreen, you're saying they should go get a Harley or a Multistrada? Don't you think that's a bit presumptuous? I hate Harleys, and the Multi is too big, so I put a small windscreen on my Monster. That has made it perfect for me where those other bikes would not be.

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
Disclaimer : I know that many will not find the following post to your liking but, it's my opinion and you don't have to like it, we can always agree to disagree, 'cause, you know, we're adults "'n' ****".

Let me put it this way : You're on a public forum, posting pics of your toy and...what ? Only dick-sucking posts are allowed ? Christ on a bike man...Pardon my French and all that... :D

Listen fella, if your ego is so friggin' fragile maybe...stop posting pics ? Unless of course you'd ONLY like other users to stroke that ego of yours.

Obviously, you can do anything you want to your bike, paint it pink for all i care and while we're at it, maybe you could also put a top-case on that seat-cowl, thing is, i don't think the designers over at Borgo Panigale had that in mind when designing the bike.

And while am at it, yes, most probably you've bought the wrong bike, after all, how many posts of 50-somethin' year-olds coming from Harleys post in here after having bought their shiny new toy and having blinged it to death only for it to be put in the classifieds section with 300miles in a couple of month's time ? Yeah...Brand recognition is a beautiful thing after all...

I do understand my good man that this may sound extremely rude, it's just that - personally - like every other human being i do have my pet peeves, seeing bikes getting "transformed" into something they're not...yeah...The M1200 is one of the most beautiful nakeds out there right now, it's like, you're dating Monica Bellucci and you suddenly decide to dress her up in white socks and sandals like some senior German tourist visiting a Greek island.

To answer the other gentleman that called me a troll (hi Sonic Duck !)...It's not about "Ducatis" or being a "Ducatista" (whatever that f'ing means), i'd be saying the same even if we were talking about , say, the new SD 1290, you don't buy a naked, 180bhp monster of a bike that can power-wheelie up to 5th gear if you don't want to be bitch-slapped by the wind, end of.
You don't buy these type of bikes to go on a friggin' straight

If you want to wind protection, go buy a Harley and/or a Multistrada, nakeds are not for everyone - they're surely not for the "i hate wind" crowd/demographic.

I've done 2000Km's in 2 days on my 796 and no, i didn't need wind protection, why ? Because...if you know how to properly sit on a (naked) bike you don't need one, then again, i'm only 37 and i do exercise so that might have to do something with it - and no, i'm not posting my "credentials", i'm being completely honest, if you're a 120Kg 50+-something guy and haven't exercised since the 70's...yeah, you'll need that wind-shield most probably...
It may sound dick-ish but you know that holds true.

Right now, i'm on the fence between the 1200S Stripe version/MV B3 Dragster/Rivale 800 and the only sure thing is that i'm not going to be putting any friggin' fairing/wind-shield on them because "reasons" - they're nakeds, they're supposed to look like that and you're supposed to be getting blasted by the wind, after all, it's part of the whole "experience".

Love you boys ;)
Rosso,

Let's just say we disagree, at least about adding some wind protection to Monsters. Motorcycle product segmentation is not that pure, or why would BMW release the R1200 RT with a full fairing, then the R1200 R naked, followed by the R1200 RS with a half fairing? By your logic the R1200 RS should not exist, as it came from the R1200 R. As Ducati doesn't yet offer a "tweener" model between the Monster and Multistrada, the Aftermarket needs to create one. Why not just buy a Multi? Well, price for one - it's way more money than a Monster, and some might not like the looks.

·
Registered
875 Posts
I have a friend who has the SD 1290. Within 3 days of buying it, he decided to buy a windscreen. Your argument is invalid.

Some people buy these bikes both to commute on AND to have fun in the twisties with on the weekend. Not everyone fits into your little world.

So if someone loves the naked look, the performance, size, etc... of the naked, and it's perfect in every way aside from the windscreen, you're saying they should go get a Harley or a Multistrada? Don't you think that's a bit presumptuous? I hate Harleys, and the Multi is too big, so I put a small windscreen on my Monster. That has made it perfect for me where those other bikes would not be.
Mtb, since you're a gent i'm gonna play ball ;)

Τhe fact that your buddy put a wind-shield on his duke and that it auto-negates what i said/trying to say is purely anecdotal.
So that you don't get me wrong : of course he can do whatever he likes to HIS bike, it is...his after all, still..."180bhp funbike"...they're not made for commuting, are they ?

Regarding your 2nd question, no, i'm not saying *exactly* that, it was more a figure of speech.
No, you don't have to buy a Harley per se (although the MTS1200 is a good example/alternative ), BUT, again, getting a 140+ bhp funbike (emphasis on "fun") bike by guys that come from 260Kg minimum STEEL American monsters (i.e :Harleys) and then complain about lack of wind protection on a - WAIT FOR IT - naked bike...you do get it my good man, do you ? :D
What else should we try to do Mtb ? Maybe put some heated grips on it - and while we are it - start wearing those...thermal/water-proof "blankets" that scooter guys put on their...scooters ?

Listen, you could buy a La Ferrarri and put a trailer behind it if you so choose, thing is, it wouldn't look right, it would be right 'cause, obviously, you don't buy that type of car to "commute" or to take the kids out on a camping trip ;)

We don't have to agree but...we also buy Italian things because they're beautiful, destroying "that" look defeats the whole purpose - 'cause if you/we only cared for "performance"...we wouldn't be riding our bikes since they're other options out there which are A) cheaper and B) still perform good.
Still, it's not about looks only but also about ethos : turning (or trying to turn) an "angry" motorcycle into a "docile" version of it because..." i commute"...it goes against the whole ****ing ethos of the (original bike's vision).

Every once in a while, mayyyyybe it should be us trying to adapt on a bike and not the other way around

Cheers

·
Registered
582 Posts
+1 Rosso. Every time I think "wish this bloody thing would start first hit" or "damn the next service is going to eat in to my drinking money" I know I picked my red bitch over the better performing, better priced and generally all-around better speed/street triple or other bikes. Funny how most "head-to-head" articles on the Monsters finish with the author saying how the other bike wins the tech spec, better bang-for-buck, etc but it was the monster that gave the biggest grin ;-)

I say have it anyway you like and your Monster is a Monster is a Monster...and comes with relevant Monster-tude (windscreen optional)!

·
Registered
535 Posts
That's it; I'm putting a batwing on this mo fo!:eek:

And to prove I'm not above it, here's a pic of my Sportster, also a naked bike.:D

Attachments

·
Registered
62 Posts
allright guys!! lets stop arguing. i think we can all agree that aesthetically windscreens on most bikes are not the most pleasing accessory that you can get. but they sure are convenient and they do serve a purpose. i personally dont like them and not in a million years i'll get one. if i don't want the wind hitting me i'd get in my car but thats just me. even when i had my harley i didnt had one. i always make fun of my coworker for putting a windshield on his diavel but hey at the end of the day its all in light fun. he loves it! we go on rides and we both enjoy our bikes just the way we have them set up. after all motorcycles are to be customized to your liking and your comfort right? i know a guy that has ape bars on a sports bike. does it looks ugly? you bet! but he rides everywhere and loves his bike and i respect him for having configured his bike to his liking regardless of what other people think.

now lets see more pics of 1200 's!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Monster.jpg

Diavel 2.jpg

OK ..... maybe I will put a windscreen on the Diavel instead

jajajajaja

Case close ...... I think

·
Registered
144 Posts
Getting back on track

I was wondering how would the bike look with that seat.... I just order the same one ..... especially for my wife ....when she comes with me on a long trip

looks awesome .....

·
Registered
782 Posts
I was wondering how would the bike look with that seat.... I just order the same one ..... especially for my wife ....when she comes with me on a long trip

looks awesome .....
OMG, are you kidding? THAT LOOKS LIKE HAMMERED DOG POOP.

Why would you replace the seat? If you wanted a better seat you should've bought an RV!!!!

For gawd's sake, you bunch of heathens.

And yes, it's yours blah blah do what you like. But you're just wrong. Because I'm right.

Obama is also to blame for all wrongs in the world.

;D

·
Registered
144 Posts

Why would you replace the seat? If you wanted a better seat you should've bought an RV!!!!

And yes, it's yours blah blah do what you like. But you're just wrong. Because I'm right.

;D

Jajajajajajajaja

I think you made your point Sonic Duck
But I still think you are going to get a response ...... jajajaja

·
Registered
138 Posts

looks awesome .....

You're just an idiot. That's all. Has nothing to do with Obama. The stock seat is a piece of **** if you actually had a passenger ride with you. Enjoy your lonely rides.

·
Registered
144 Posts
You're just an idiot. That's all. Has nothing to do with Obama. The stock seat is a piece of **** if you actually had a passenger ride with you. Enjoy your lonely rides.

Dave1200S .......

Sonic is just making fun of the guys in the previous threads...
not his intention to make fun of you or me ..... or other that think with respect

·
Registered
782 Posts
BEING RIGHT IS A LONELY PLACE AND I ACCEPT THE BURDEN.

You people and your comfort. You'll burn in hell for it I tell you!!!!!

:eek:

·
Registered
138 Posts
BEING RIGHT IS A LONELY PLACE AND I ACCEPT THE BURDEN.

You people and your comfort. You'll burn in hell for it I tell you!!!!!

Look with a turn of a key I can look just like you. Then again you haven't posted a pic.

Attachments

41 - 60 of 511 Posts