Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 40 of 511 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Every time is see a humongous wind-screen on a 140bhp naked funbike something dies inside of me...

There's always Goldwings/Electra glides boys if you don't want to get blasted by the wind :D

Why ?
Perhaps he didn't want a Goldwing or Electra Gilde?

Or maybe conformity to some troll's idea of what is acceptable seemed just too droll for him.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Perhaps he didn't want a Goldwing or Electra Gilde?

Or maybe conformity to some troll's idea of what is acceptable seemed just too droll for him.
Or maybe he wanted close to sportbike handling and power to weight ratio with an upright riding position, and not a 2-wheeled land-yacht, but thought he'd like a little wind protection.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Every time is see a humongous wind-screen on a 140bhp naked funbike something dies inside of me...

There's always Goldwings/Electra glides boys if you don't want to get blasted by the wind

Why ?

In other news :
Ducati sure has spoiled when it comes to liveries...a red bike, a white bike, a red bike, a white bike, a red b...

PS : Dlewis, really tasteful mods man, nice

AMEN - to no windscreens

·
Registered
72 Posts
AMEN - to no windscreens
Yeah, not to be a dick, but that Monster with the massive wind shield on page two is extremely ****in ugly. My god, that's hideous.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Yeah, not to be a dick, but that Monster with the massive wind shield on page two is extremely ****in ugly. My god, that's hideous.
Would be a must have item on a long road trip though.

Hows about we just keep this thread to mostly pictures..

·
Registered
782 Posts
Saying "not to be a dick" pretty much seals the deal that you are being one. But hey, enough of y'all pile on and maybe everyone will assimilate. Little wonder why normal people have a predisposition to dislike Ducatisti.

·
Registered
144 Posts

There's always Goldwings/Electra glides boys if you don't want to get blasted by the wind :D

Why ?

In other news :
Ducati sure has spoiled when it comes to liveries...a red bike, a white bike, a red bike, a white bike, a red b... :D

PS : Dlewis, really tasteful mods man, nice ;)

Can't remember asking you for money when I bought the bike and the windscreen ..... plus blasted by the wind in Florida is different from Alaska...
what a lack of respect for your fellow riders....or you are just a kid an then we could understand..... anyhow enjoy your bike ...I will enjoy mine

·
Registered
72 Posts
Can't remember asking you for money when I bought the bike and the windscreen ..... plus blasted by the wind in Florida is different from Alaska...
what a lack of respect for your fellow riders....or you are just a kid an then we could understand..... anyhow enjoy your bike ...I will enjoy mine
Touche. My comment was rude. If you like your bike with a windscreen that's all that matters. And Alaska...I'm jealous.

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
Touche. My comment was rude. If you like your bike with a windscreen that's all that matters. And Alaska...I'm jealous.
The problem here, as I see it, is that there isn't an available windscreen that 1), deflects the windblast at speed and 2) looks like it belongs on the bike.

·
Registered
535 Posts
The problem here, as I see it, is that there isn't an available windscreen that 1), deflects the windblast at speed and 2) looks like it belongs on the bike.
So how many belly pans do you need to sell to make our dream of the ideal windscreen a reality?

Until then I need something to go cross country and it doesn't appear that the Ducati one, the Puig one or the small Givi one will do what I'm looking for so it looks like I may have to use the A660 to get the desired results until something more sexy comes along.

Oh, and here's a pic of the bike when I picked it up.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
So how many belly pans do you need to sell to make our dream of the ideal windscreen a reality?

Until then I need something to go cross country and it doesn't appear that the Ducati one, the Puig one or the small Givi one will do what I'm looking for so it looks like I may have to use the A660 to get the desired results until something more sexy comes along.

Oh, and here's a pic of the bike when I picked it up.
Brian,

You don't want me to get into my business finances, but I can tell you that it's been much more difficult to make money with this new business than I'd thought. The problem doesn't appear to be the product, as the feedback I've gotten so far has been positive. The concern for me has been distribution/sales - not enough Monster owners have seen the bellypan and not enough have been sold. To improve this I'm hooking up with Motowheels, who will be distributing the bellypans along with my selling them on my website plus e-Bay.

In order for me to fund a small fairing I'm looking for full-time auto industry employment, the industry I grew up in. With that in place I'm willing to proceed with design sketches which I'll share with you guys. I expect the fairing to garner more sales than the bellypan because it solves a customer problem (wind protection) besides just looking good on the bike and will work for all Monster models, not just the 1200/1200s.

Here are my current thoughts on a Monster fairing:
- Mounted to the front fork/headlamp, so it would turn with the fork
- Not much larger than the original 900 Monster 1/4 fairing, but better at deflecting the wind
- Better wind deflection for its size accomplished by using the "laminar lip" concept, but integrated into the fairing design, not added on as an afterthought
- A good example of this idea was the Ducati Paso of the mid-'80s/early '90s, a Tamburini design. The windscreen was very small and low relative to the rider, but the wind was deflected up and over. How do I know this? I owned a 907.
- Like the 907, there would be no plexiglas/lexan clear screen - the entire (small) part would be painted to match the bike.
- The fairing would have an updated design to emulate the look of the new Monsters
- An extension would be molded in on the fairing backside to shroud the gauges from light, improving their visibility in daylight conditions
- I would use the same production process as done with the bellypan (sketches to clay surfacing to a proto part to a production mold)
- I would expect a retail price similar to the bellypan - fully painted with fasteners in the $500-600 range.

Attachments

·
Registered
875 Posts
Disclaimer : I know that many will not find the following post to your liking but, it's my opinion and you don't have to like it, we can always agree to disagree, 'cause, you know, we're adults "'n' ****".

Let me put it this way : You're on a public forum, posting pics of your toy and...what ? Only dick-sucking posts are allowed ? Christ on a bike man...Pardon my French and all that... :D

Listen fella, if your ego is so friggin' fragile maybe...stop posting pics ? Unless of course you'd ONLY like other users to stroke that ego of yours.

Obviously, you can do anything you want to your bike, paint it pink for all i care and while we're at it, maybe you could also put a top-case on that seat-cowl, thing is, i don't think the designers over at Borgo Panigale had that in mind when designing the bike.

And while am at it, yes, most probably you've bought the wrong bike, after all, how many posts of 50-somethin' year-olds coming from Harleys post in here after having bought their shiny new toy and having blinged it to death only for it to be put in the classifieds section with 300miles in a couple of month's time ? Yeah...Brand recognition is a beautiful thing after all...

I do understand my good man that this may sound extremely rude, it's just that - personally - like every other human being i do have my pet peeves, seeing bikes getting "transformed" into something they're not...yeah...The M1200 is one of the most beautiful nakeds out there right now, it's like, you're dating Monica Bellucci and you suddenly decide to dress her up in white socks and sandals like some senior German tourist visiting a Greek island.

To answer the other gentleman that called me a troll (hi Sonic Duck !)...It's not about "Ducatis" or being a "Ducatista" (whatever that f'ing means), i'd be saying the same even if we were talking about , say, the new SD 1290, you don't buy a naked, 180bhp monster of a bike that can power-wheelie up to 5th gear if you don't want to be bitch-slapped by the wind, end of.
You don't buy these type of bikes to go on a friggin' straight

If you want to wind protection, go buy a Harley and/or a Multistrada, nakeds are not for everyone - they're surely not for the "i hate wind" crowd/demographic.

I've done 2000Km's in 2 days on my 796 and no, i didn't need wind protection, why ? Because...if you know how to properly sit on a (naked) bike you don't need one, then again, i'm only 37 and i do exercise so that might have to do something with it - and no, i'm not posting my "credentials", i'm being completely honest, if you're a 120Kg 50+-something guy and haven't exercised since the 70's...yeah, you'll need that wind-shield most probably...
It may sound dick-ish but you know that holds true.

Right now, i'm on the fence between the 1200S Stripe version/MV B3 Dragster/Rivale 800 and the only sure thing is that i'm not going to be putting any friggin' fairing/wind-shield on them because "reasons" - they're nakeds, they're supposed to look like that and you're supposed to be getting blasted by the wind, after all, it's part of the whole "experience".

Love you boys ;)

21 - 40 of 511 Posts