Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my 2014 M1200s for about 3 weeks now. I purchased it from our local Ducati dealer who said the bike was fully serviced and ready to go. The bike has 12k mile and after a about a 45 minute ride saturday I noticed that there was oil leaking from what appeared to be the spark plug on the rear cylinder.

Does that sound right? Is this a known issue? The dealer is closed until tomorrow but I'm quite concerned.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I've had my 2014 M1200s for about 3 weeks now. I purchased it from our local Ducati dealer who said the bike was fully serviced and ready to go. The bike has 12k mile and after a about a 45 minute ride saturday I noticed that there was oil leaking from what appeared to be the spark plug on the rear cylinder.

Does that sound right? Is this a known issue? The dealer is closed until tomorrow but I'm quite concerned.
Tell the dealer tech to recalibrate his torque wrench....it's only a common issue among rookies ;)

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
403 Posts
from what appeared to be the spark plug on the rear cylinder.
Is it actually coming from the spark plug though?
More likely it's from a cover that had to be taken off to check the valve clearances and the oil is pooling at the spark plug recess.
I'd still return it to the dealer for them to fix it if you just bought it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the response everyone. I took it back to the dealer and they said the spark plug was loose and they tightened it up. Got about 50 miles on it so far with no additional leaking. So hopefully that did the trick.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am curious if anyone knows. I have yet to wrench on a ducati but in cars ive worked on there is a gasket that deals the spark plug tube off from the valve cover so even if a spark plug is loose it would not cause an oil leak. Is ducati using a different design?

Do a lot of folks do maintenance on their own bikes? I'm certainly not afraid to get my hands dirty. Can you find shop manuals or Haynes manuals for these bikes?

·
Registered
403 Posts
but in cars ive worked on there is a gasket that deals the spark plug tube off from the valve cover so even if a spark plug is loose it would not cause an oil leak.
Same here.
Haven't looked at a M1200 but looking at the parts pic it doesn't look like the spark plugs are holding the cover down.
If it did the firing end of the plug would be lucky to be halfway down the valve stem .
That's why I suggested it was a cover leak in the first place.
If you really had that much oil passing through the cylinder and coming out of the spark plug I'd be checking to see if your piston had rings on it.
I recon they've had to replace the o ring seal or at least tighten the cover.
Handwriting Font Art Writing Parallel

1 - 8 of 8 Posts