Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was never a fan of the newer style headlights on the Monster so I decided to convert my 1100evo back to the round clubman style from the first gen Monsters. I was able to source all of the parts needed from Spiegler and finally got around to installing it. Below is a pic of the test fitment. I think its a huge improvement.

Now, the challenge I'm having is that the headlight did not come with a wiring diagram, nor am I very savvy when it comes to anything beyond bolt-on plug and play. The stock headlight runs H7 and H1 bulbs, while the new unit runs an H4. Would any one know how to wire this thing up? Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
70 Posts
Very nice! I been thinking about doing the same to my evo!

Your wiring diagram for the harness goes as follows:
White is low
Yellow/black is high
Black is ground
Yellow is parking light

You need to figure out what the wire colors are for on the new headlight. More than likely, the black wire is the ground for the parking light. You will connect that to the ground of the main headlight (Possibly the green wire?). Take those two grounds and connect it to the black wire in the harness. Take the brown wire from the parking light and connect it to the Yellow wire in the harness. Then just Figure out which wires are for high and low beam and connect them to the harness respectively. If its a ducati headlight I would guess the white wire is your low beam. In which case connect white to white.

If i were you, instead of splicing into the factory harness i would just buy a new headlight harness for your bike so you dont have to ruin the one you got.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Sorry to commit thread necromancy but I wanted to ask how the conversion went and which headlight in particular you used on your Monster. I'm looking to do the same to my 1100S but I'm not sure if that LSL headlight is DOT-legal or not. We don't have inspections in GA but I also don't want to have a headlight that barely lights the road in front of me for the occasional evening drive. Any opinions?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The conversion came out really well very happy with the result. The LSL headlight is very bright and you would have no issues running at night. I ended up changing the bulb to a PIAA 4100K radiant white to brighten it up even more. Once I figured out the wiring it was a breeze to install.

·
Registered
23 Posts
That looks great! Thanks for making the update. Just one more question for you if you don't mind - you didn't have to make any permanent changes to the Monster to do this, is that correct? I want to make sure that I can go "back to stock" whenever necessary.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I cut the stock wiring harness off the Original headlight to make the wiring a little cleaner. You can skip this step. Aside from that it's all bolt on and can easily be put back.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Bunner, it looks great! How did you mount the Instrument cluster since it's attached to the stock headlight? Also, for mounting the headlight, did you purchase the side brackets separately or did they come with the headlight. I found a headlight I'd like to use, however they are charging a fortune for the brackets. I appreciate any of your input, thanks!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I bought some universal brackets from Sato Racing. These mounted up perfectly to the holes in the triple that held the original headlight bracket.

http://www.satoracing.com/universalbrackets.htm

Size is 75mm x 6mm

The headlight and brackets were purchased separately. Both are LSL parts.

Bunner, it looks great! How did you mount the Instrument cluster since it's attached to the stock headlight? Also, for mounting the headlight, did you purchase the side brackets separately or did they come with the headlight. I found a headlight I'd like to use, however they are charging a fortune for the brackets. I appreciate any of your input, thanks!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I bought some universal brackets from Sato Racing. These mounted up perfectly to the holes in the triple that held the original headlight bracket.

http://www.satoracing.com/universalbrackets.htm

Size is 75mm x 6mm

The headlight and brackets were purchased separately. Both are LSL parts.
Well, that's really elegant and easy... I went overboard on mine and 3D printed a custom piece (that, ultimately, I measured wrong). Uses all 4 mounting holes, though, so it's relatively beefy, I guess.

Also, I'd have my headlight mounted up by now but the guys at Spiegler goofed and sent the wrong parts. The Ohlins Monsters need a 50mm top bracket and a 54 bottom, and Speigler had the first number right but not the second. :) Still high quality stuff, however, and I'm guessing worth the money.

Waiting for the CNC Racing turn signals as well. I know that Rizoma is supposed to be the top-notch stuff but I couldn't find anything in their catalog that would look remotely good on a Monster. Hopefully the CNC stuff won't be hilariously ugly on the bike, plus getting it for literally half the cost is never a bad thing!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Gah, I have really fell into the hole of raising old threads, BUT, need to get my instrument gauge to fit on the triple now also with a headlight exhange. The variant by using Sato Universal brackets seems neat, but what does it look like? Any possibilities to shoot any pictures closer?

·
Registered
130 Posts

Same headlight brackets? MAX Razor CNC Machined Headlight Brackets? I did buy an instrument panel bracket, but wasn't satisfied with it and fabricated my own.

·
Registered
7 Posts
View attachment 224067

Same headlight brackets? MAX Razor CNC Machined Headlight Brackets? I did buy an instrument panel bracket, but wasn't satisfied with it and fabricated my own.
Thanks for the response. The headlight brackets I do have (part of the purchase of the headlight), but I need to find an instrument bracket, where currently the Motodemic seems the only one out there so far. I'm also thinking about fabricating one on my own, but is of course as always lacking both time and too big machinery park to get one there that is looking good enough. :)

·
Registered
130 Posts
This has photoshop measurements, made with photoshop ruler tool, scaled to a measurement from what was easily got to on the installed bracket. So expect imperfection. Made mine out of 3mm alloy.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts