Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just changed my oil and the crush washer supplied is too small for the drain plug. Dealer double checked part number and they are giving me the right one according to the computer. Anyone know the answer here??

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did re-use the original because my dealer is a couple of hours away. I am just wondering if anyone else has been given the washer from the Dealer only to find out it is the wrong one. For the few cents I prefer to replace the washer on every change

·
Premium Member
6,957 Posts
The 1100 and Testa motor bikes have a new smaller drainplug (12mm) than all the previous ducs.
you can get one from the dealer.
prob just a mistake on the size

jeff h
monsterparts.com

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Jeff. Mystery solved. Apparently there is a typo on the Ducati fiche that lists the incorrect part number. The one listed is 85204241A. It is too small at 10mmX14mmX1mm. The one needed is 85250421A which is 12.2mmX18mmX1.5mm.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Minor typo - M1100/M796 oil change parts

Thanks Jeff. Mystery solved. Apparently there is a typo on the Ducati fiche that lists the incorrect part number. The one listed is 85204241A. It is too small at 10mmX14mmX1mm. The one needed is 85250421A which is 12.2mmX18mmX1.5mm.
Probably just a transposition, but the correct Code No. for the part is 852.5.024.1A and the description is Gasket th.1.

I can't seem to find a parts catalog for the M796, but it is indeed the same Cap (drain plug) and Gasket (crush washer) for the middle child.

Also, in lieu of the service manuals, instructions for DIY seems pretty well documented for the M696, but a little lacking for the M796 and M1100. I did find related info at these following links.

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/92-hypermotard/96526-proper-oil-change-hyper-796-question.html

http://www.***********************/index.php?topic=36928.0

To address the common questions (and the ones that I had), the correct metric hex bit socket size for the drain plug is 5mm and for the oil filter screen and associated cap is 14mm. If there's a question regarding the location of the oil drain plug, it can be found on the left half of the crankcase utilizing the copper gasket. Looking at the M1100 spare parts catalog, the plug and gasket can be seen in drawing 010 identified as Notes No. 44 & 45.

Lastly, I do have a Service Manual on order, but can anyone share the torque specs related to an oil change for the M796? I'm having difficulty finding on the forums. Looking to confirm values to correctly tighten the filter screen & cap and oil drain plug. TIA.

Edit / Note: It seems that the second link is not liked or approved. It is a thread found on the Ducati Monster Forum.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts