Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did anyone read the M1000 review in the british mag BIKE ? Seemed that they really didnt like the engine. What was up with that ? I have ridden an M1000 and thought the engine was pretty good. I did see that it posted the fastest lap, though. Any thoughts ?

·
Premium Member
1,881 Posts
I have that around somewhere. I believe they said that the particular 1000 they had wasn't putting out the power that previous 1000DS motors had, that they thought it was a lame motor in particular but not in general. That sounds very possible to me since I have never heard anyone else decry the 1000DS...

·
Registered
326 Posts
There is some discussion of this on the British Bike Magazine thread from last week. I also get the impression from teh article that their particular test bike was suffering but that other 1000DS engines they had tested were much better. Also still happy to see the Duc post the fastest lap-time... good hadling and confidence goes a long way.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The sick engine was mentioned, but it wasnt made that clear. Thats too bad, in a way, because it really brought down their overall rating of the bike. I'll have to re-read it, but my first impression was that the bike did not review well. If they did have one with a faulty engine, its too bad that they didnt wait for a proper bike to do the test. I wonder if reviews like that hurt sales ? Of course, if you want a monster, you wont let a review stop you, eh ;) ?

S

·
0 Posts
First time I hear about a bad M1000 review. I have read a lot of them and they were all very favorable, engine, handling, great stuff. The Germans in Motorrad were very happy with M1000, they even rated it above the S4. Not very professional I think to perform a test on a bike that must have had a faulty engine. And the company that handed them a faulty bike in the first place is not high on my list.

Slim

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
Is there any chance of scanning this review and putting it somewhere for people to look at?

I can't buy this magazine where I live.

Would we get in to trouble over copyright?

Please......

·
Registered
668 Posts
There is a freedom of speech. And it made best lap times with a sick engine.

Anyway,
test ride one who ever has not ridden one yet.

I like mine.

Skier

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I re-read the review last night and in my mind it was definetly negative and ended up not recomending the bike. They did mention that the bike dynoed at significantly less (something like 15) rwhp than one that was previously tested, however they gave it no caveats for that. For those that didnt read the review, it was a comparo between the Honda Hornet, M1000DS, Buell 1200 Lightning and Kawasaki Z750. I'll try to scan it and put it on an ftp site in the next few days.

·
Registered
15 Posts
It seems to me that EVERY bike mag here in the uk is very un complimentary about any ducati, apart from the 999. Its actually a UK pastime.........
I still think that my M1000 is a great bike.
Its what YOU think that counts, not some Journo, who has to write about bikes he has sat on for an hour or so......

C

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It seems to me that EVERY bike mag here in the uk is very un complimentary about any ducati, apart from the 999. Its actually a UK pastime.........
I still think that my M1000 is a great bike.
Its what YOU think that counts, not some Journo, who has to write about bikes he has sat on for an hour or so......

C
I've noticed that also... about the uk mags--they really are biased against Ducs. The M1000DS is a great bike .

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If anyone wants to see the article, pm me and I'll hook you up.

O

·
0 Posts
I was reading one of the motorcycle mags (Dunno which one Motorcyleist, or Sport rider) at the 7-11 a few months ago did a artical on naked bikes... It Tested the SR4 although the liked it they thought the M1000DS was a better deal $ wise and fun wise as well...

·
Premium Member
694 Posts
Yeah, I read that article too the other night. Definitely disappointing. But several months ago, I read a couple mag reviews that had nothing but praise for it and its little brother the 800, even recommending the 1000 over an S4. Then again, this journo seemed to like the looks of the air-cooled engine better along with its tractability yada yada yada. The more I read these mags, the more I realize how subjective everything is and dependent upon each person's taste. Anyway, back to daydreaming about warm air, dry pavement, sunny skies and that lovely duc v-twin growl...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts