Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ciao,
a chance to swap the good old 2003 M1000Sie to 999 monoposto MY 2003 with 5000miles for less than 6000$.

What do You ladies and gentlemen think ? ;D

Other option is to slap 1500$ for new M1000Dark.

Skier

·
Registered
44 Posts
Skier,

It might be a good trade-up from a financial point of view, but personally I would not do it. If you spend the days speeding along on your Monster and trying to get your knee on the ground on every turn, the 999 might give you more power (and maybe handling) to play with. If you are like me and like to accelerate fast and go for the twisties, after which I can relax and ride comfortably, I would say stick with the Monster. I also think the monster is cooler and might actually be easier to trade or sell since the target group is bigger.

Well, that's what I think.

Cheers,

DUCky

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
The 999 would make an awesome 2nd bike, but I can't see giving up the comfort of the Monster and only having the 999 for all of your riding.

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
Other option is to slap 1500$ for new M1000Dark.

Skier
Skier,

I am not smart enough to answer the 999 question, but what advantage would you gain going from a 2003 M1000sie to a 2004 M1000 dark (besides 1yr)? Would it not be a step down suspension wise, plus out 1500?

mitt

S

·
0 Posts
Way back when the real bikers had the 916 as their only transportation and girls were babes and hang a rounds, this swap could have worked. But not with the 999. The fuel tank is so small that the limited range will get you into trouble, and it is so small that you will have to refuel during a race. They now have an 18 liter fuel tank ready for the 749R so you have to get that one if you do the swap.
And how can you strap on some 30L of luggage on to the 999 tail piece, which you could with the 916? I can understand that you want the ultimate super bike, so why not look for a 916 / 998.

Slim

Slim

·
Registered
15 Posts
Having got the M1000sie - and also test ridden the 999, I understand what you are saying (but not about the dark????).

As you can see, I went for the Monster, rather than the 999, bacause of the luggage, twisties & grin factor!!! ;D ;D ;D

Have fun, whatever you get - but go for the monster you already have.

Only my opinion tho,

CK

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
The only way I know to answer this question is to get both. What a stable, & you won't have to be outclassed for years.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I thank You my monster friends !

First really there is that good relationship with the shop here, and they have always something nice to offer.

999 would be financially excellent choice.

Monster S is really taken me all over this land and some more (8000kms trip with tube on the back and tank bag, You guys remember that ;D ;D )

999 would be great. Yes, as another bike. Dark would be again totally new (financial factor, black factor and because I already have 20000kms on my S).

Well, maybe I go and see the black multistrada, and ask for extension to my warranty for M1000 ....

Thanks a bunch all, and keep them coming !

Skier

R

·
0 Posts
Skier it depends on how you want to ride, I suppose, but if it were me.........hell yes take the 999! I don't even see where there is a question?

·
Premium Member
873 Posts
For the type of riding I do it would'nt be a good choice. Last summer I rode 10,300km from Toronto to Sante Fe and then up through the rockies through Co., Wy., Mo., into Alberta and back home to Toronto. I also commute 45min to work, so as much as I would probably love the performance of the 999 it simply would'nt be practical. I also don't know that I am a good enough rider to fully appreciate the ability of the 999 and I have more than enough fun on my 01 900 cromo. I would consider the multistrada although I hear you need an aftermarket saddle if you want to ride it any distance.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Skier,

I am partial... I have taken the 999 out several times lately ;D and love it! It is not a touring bike by no means, but it is much more fun in the twisties. Lots of ponies in the paddock ;)

·
Registered
196 Posts
Smile when you ride because either makes everyone green with envy. :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts