Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I thought I would clean the oil screen this oil change. I had to forget about it though because I can't get the darn thing out! I removed the 21mm hex head fitting. The screen looks like it is built on to the end of a fitting with a 14mm socket. I can't budge this thing out, I'm assuming it unscrews.

Any experience here would be of help.
Thanks, Mike

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
I don't know exactly what yours looks like, but on my bike, the screen is on the end of what looks like a hollow bolt with some holes near the bolt head where, apparently, the oil enters, and the screen at the other end of the hollow section. I take the whole thing out, then just clean the screen without further disassembly.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Scott,
When you say you remove the screen, do you mean that it just pulls out or do you have to unscrew it? Mine will not budge in any way.
I'm stumped!
Mike

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had the exact same problem with my new 03 M800 and was stumped by the directions to use a 21 mm and/or 16 mm from what I read in various places.

Turns out the 21 mm is for the cover, as you and I have both discovered. On mine, the internal screen assembly itself takes a 14 mm hex head allen wrench or socket (I was lucky to find a socket in a package of three at the local AutoZone). It doesn't come out easily, but is a normal thread, so turning left with some fairly heavy torque got mine loose and then I just turned it until it came all the way out.

Hope that helps...

-Scott

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey, That's funny your name is Scott as well, now two Scotts have pitched in to help out.

Anyway, your info is exactly what I was looking for. I figured I had to insert the hex key and uncrew the screen assy, but it's torqued down so darn tight I was hesitant to get serious with it until I was sure the fitting was threaded. I'll give it the treatment next oil change,
again, thanks
Mike Tozzi

1 - 5 of 5 Posts