Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everyone,

Sorry if this has been already discussed to pieces but:

The clutch on my M1000 is as standard and *heavy* enough to give me blisters during a full day riding in town.

I was offered a STM Clutch slave cylinder and aftermarket clutch springs by my dealer who demonstrated them on another bike; result nice light clutch.

I understand the clutch slave cylinder will increase the leverage of the lever only without affecting the operation of the clutch itself.

I am worried if i fit lighter springs maybe the clutch will slip if there isn't enough pressure holding the plates together. Is this true? I am not a expert in clutches (it shows doesn't it) what do other riders recommend?

Both springs and slave cyclinder or just slave cylinder.

STM is the only brand available around here, if they suck please let me know.

Thanks in advance

Happy Christmas!

Best Regards

stu

G

·
stm's slave looks great & judging by their other bits, it's gotta be tip-top quality. but they're not the only ones available. motowheels.com (one of this site's sponsors) has a signature slave cylinder that many folks have installed and are happy with. yoyodyneti.com also has one available. a bit more pricey but some argue they're a more robust design. this has been a fairly heated topic and i have NO first hand experience so i won't offer a suggestion of which to go with. just pointing out more available items.

as for springs? i wouldn't change the stockers except to go stiffer. i don't have an issue with clutch pull/fatigue.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Hi you have it just about right. The clutch slave is the thing to change leave the springs alone. There is no such thing as "only one available here" unless you live on the moon. There is nothing wrong that I know of with the STM unit. I have installed five different brands and I like the Yoyodyne the best it is a little expensive but rock solid construction and a piece of cake to install. The MotoWheels one is CHEAP and is made by EVO a little tricky to install but seems to work fine after that. They are all fairly easy to install and bleeding is really the biggest problem once that is done correctly it should make a noticeable difference. Two tricks to bleeding are one start your bleeding with a vacuum pump. Once you have fluid flowing with the pump then with the bleed screw closed squeeze the clutch lever then open the bleed screw hold the lever in let the clutch springs force the fluid out. What this does is it makes the piston move back and forth in the slave releasing the bubbles caught between the piston and the cylinder walls.

·
Registered
600 Posts
STMs are good. I know they are the only way to go in Japan. Who's your local dealer over there, if I may ask?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just replaced the standard clutch slave with the EVO model on my Monster 750. Installation was pretty easy (my freind and I aren't mechanics and if we can pull it off it can't be too hard). Bleeding the system was a pain and took a while but now the clutch feels a lot better...easier lever pull and smoother engagment. It was worth the money and the time.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
I've got an EVO slave on my S4 and I absolutely love it. Problem free from day one (Yea, bleeding it was a PITA, but it sounds like most of them are), killer build quality and excellent customer support. I'm also running an STM full aluminum clutch & lightened flywheel. STM makes an excellent product as well, although usually at a premium price.

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
THanks for the answers, STM without springs it is then.

Jiro:
My dealer is http://www.ducatitokyoohta.com/

Seems in Japan, if the bike is made in Italy then all the bits they sell for it must also be made in Italy too.

I think part of it is the image that ducati created for themselves in Japan, they try hard to be seen as a luxury item.

Maybe I can get a Yoyodyne in the Buell showroom!

Cheers

stu

G

·
The MotoWheels one is CHEAP and is made by EVO a little tricky to install but seems to work fine after that. .
uh, we prefer to call it inexpensive at $119 retail (DML member price) for the motowheels slave cylinder.

http://tinyurl.com/397uf

We also have a new hard anodized version (that coincidently looks like a STM unit) The kit comes with a billet clutch hub stabiliizer plate, polished stainless steel springs, bleeder cup and two bleeder screws for only $209 to DML members.

http://tinyurl.com/3ct9b

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, I understand from various sources on the web (and here) that Yoyodyne is most recommended.

I don't have a garage or tools (or ability) and don't want to invalidate my warranty on a brand new bike.

If I walk into my (Japanese) dealer with a Yoyo(tm) and say "Hey put this on" he is either going to:

a) Tell me he doesn't understand the instructions and give it back

OR

b) Charge a ridiculously high fee. (Perhaps 3-4 times the 119USD quoted in this thread) (Yes - no exaggeration)

I am afraid the STM decision is a political one and not based on technical (or cost) merits.

If I purchase from the dealer and have them fit it then they will support me.

As an idea, is there a yoyodyne dealer in Japan? If I (My dealer) could purchase locally then it would be a whole different ball game. (I searched and could not find one)

Thanks to everyones answers

Best Regards

stu

G

·
Have your dealer contact us.
We have a dealer program for the slave cylinders (and a bunch of other items). We ship to Japan all the time.

·
Registered
600 Posts
If your dealer doesn't do oversea business, try these guys. Their shop is right by SHIBUYA station. I heard they do a little business outside of Japan.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I really have to wonder what you guys are talking about. Lets see there at least three slave cylinders made in Japan for Ducatis and all of them were available before Yoyodyne and way before STM. I have one

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
908:

I know these makers, do you have any english language sites on them, I couldn't find any.

Japan accounts for 9% of Ducatis sold worldwide and are down 9% this year.

I do not think that Japanese parts manufacturers for Ducati have a large market share outside of Japan.

I would guess maybe they have 30-40% of the parts market within Japan.

Ducati Performace/Corse pretty much out muscles everyone else, they give away these beautiful glossy catalogs everytime you buy a new bike.

Huge is not a word to use.

People discuss what they have experience of, I myself was offered an Italian part not one from Japan.

Jiro

I know motoplan, I have been there, very gaijin (foreigner) friendly, recomended if you come to Japan and need a ducati.

They gave me a good price right off the bat, but they are a little far from where I am and they have annoying music on their website.

Once again thanks for everyones replies.
Regards

stu

1 - 15 of 15 Posts