Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Just picked up my bike from Barnetts where William did the 18,000 mile service. Cost was a little over $300 -- all labor (well, a few gaskets). No valves needed adjusted, and belts were replaced at 12,000 miles. William quoted me clearances on the valves. He synched the throttle bodies. I thought the bike was running well before I took it in, now it's unbelievable -- better throttle response, and much, much smoother. Frankly, I'm a little shocked. I'll be interested to see what the gas mileage is. Before the 18,000 mile service, I was getting about 33 mpg around town.

So far, I'm impressed with William. He seems to be a down-to-earth, no bullshit kinda guy, and he did what I asked (e.g., he did not change the oil/filter). I thought the belts got changed at 18k, but he called me and said he replaced them at 12k, so no need this time.

I know Barnetts takes a lot of flack, but I put decent miles on my bike, and I don't relish special trips to Charlotte to leave my bike for days at a time, so for me Barnetts it is.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Blind Tree Frog said:
I clearly need some of these 12K belts so I can stop using the ones that need to be changed ever 2K
huh ... the suggested intervals are 12K miles or 2 years

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Blind Tree Frog said:
Not according to Barnetts when i went their for 6K service. They said the belts are recommened to be changed every 2k miles
I was just in for an oil change and sprocket change and they didn't say anything about changing belts at 2K (I had 4K on at the time).

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
As i said above, Barnetts has given me poor information in the past (either flat out lying or just telling me the wrong thing). Finding out more of what they told me is wrong doesn't shock me and simply re-enforces that i will not be spending any money there.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
I just had my 18k at Barnetts. William stated (correctly): "belt change every 12k." In fact those were his words during my 12k service too.

·
Premium Member
671 Posts
minkman said:
Champion Motorsports - Mount Pleasant, SC
I called looking for '06 S2R1000. This was the day that Hurricane Ernesto hit. They were closing shop early to get out before the storm and said they'd get on it the next day. And they did. I got a call the very next morning saying they had located a black with white, my color choice. By that time I had found the one I ended up buying myself. I really liked the sales guy, Jason. If the deal for the one ended up buying had falling through, Champion probably would have been the place I bought from.
While Jason was pretty cool when I was down checkin out the bikes, I almost bought Kenny's racing sponsor's 748.............but decided against it after Eric? Not sure who..........messed up my parts order and cost me a trip to Deal's Gap after promising me a part in time. It wouldn't have been a big deal that HE made a mistake and ordered it as a backorder/stock item instead of as for a customer.........I know that because he told me that's what he did after I stressed when I needed it and he said he could get it no problem. Thing was, I paid full price when I picked them up 4 days later........they didn't even appologize. I swore them off and refuse to go now. But I had my Yamaha R6 then, I have the Ducati coming in now. If I find another dealer not that far away I'll go there instead.

·
Registered
7 Posts

I am sorry that you had a bad experience BUT I might be able to help in the future. My wife is the office manager and I used to be the parts manager 3 years ago and still have ties to the shop if needed. My wife surprised me with a brand new S2R1000 for Christmas. I have not had a bike since 2003 so I am very excited to mod this one. I will be going to the shop quite a bit since there is only 1 person that I trust to do anything to my new baby. Let me know if you have an issue and I will call the owner personally to help IF I can.

Phil

·
Registered
890 Posts
My best friend Keith worked at Champion for awhile putting bikes together. He spoke highly of the place. Only experience I have with them was getting kicked out 10 secs after walking in. They take closing serious.

The chopper spot next door was cool though. Iron Horse Choppers I believe.

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
Hi
I do not own a monster yet but I am looking to buy a s4r. (hopefully In the next week or 2)
The bike I am looking at is a madison motorsports. I have talked with them on the phone but have not been at the dealership yet(so far so good).
I see most people on the forum do not favor them at all. Does anyone think I should avoid doing business with them? I live in Durham and hate to drive several hours away to get the same bike at maybe the same price.
Any help or suggestions [thumbsup]

thanks JJ

·
Registered
406 Posts
If you are going to us Madison, insist on dealing with Bo Dembo. He is Madisons only worth while employee.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
ruester007 said:
If you are going to us Madison, insist on dealing with Bo Dembo. He is Madisons only worth while employee.
Bo's a great guy and I agree. He's the only one there worth dealing with.

Barnett's has an S4Rs on the floor, at least they did when I was there on Saturday checking out the 1098

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
Thanks for the advice. I might have to go by Barnnets on Saturday. [thumbsup]

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
I went to the Charlotte dealer yesterday for a recall and I felt they treated me well and had the recall done within the hour. The one thing I have noticed with a Ducati Honda, Trimuph, BMW etc..... is that I really don't think they get enough work to really be an expert on these bikes? I'm not implying anything about the dealer in Charlotte, just in general. We just moved from the Portland Oregon area and they had a Ducati dealer called Motocorsa that Ducati was there main line, and when I asked a question I could sense or feel the confidence in their response. I just don't get that at a multi line dealership, BMW or Honda there experts with but there knowledge seems weak on A Ducati. Ayone else feel the same way??

Don

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
hundo said:
I went to the Charlotte dealer yesterday for a recall and I felt they treated me well and had the recall done within the hour. The one thing I have noticed with a Ducati Honda, Trimuph, BMW etc..... is that I really don't think they get enough work to really be an expert on these bikes? I'm not implying anything about the dealer in Charlotte, just in general. We just moved from the Portland Oregon area and they had a Ducati dealer called Motocorsa that Ducati was there main line, and when I asked a question I could sense or feel the confidence in their response. I just don't get that at a multi line dealership, BMW or Honda there experts with but there knowledge seems weak on A Ducati. Ayone else feel the same way??

Don
I just dropped my bike off at Charlotte today, and have had them work on an issue before. I felt pretty good about them. Spoke to them over the phone, and gave them the symptoms, and they where great about telling me a few things that they thought it could be and why just by my story. I know we can't bank on anything till the split the case on the engine, but they have been dead on with everything so far.

I had a cush drive failure that ate my chain adjuster off... agian, told them what had happened, sent a couple of photos, and with in a week they had a whole swing arm assembly ready to go, took them less than 1 day to get me ready to go, including doing my 6000 service. A+ if you ask me, and they may not beable to talk with confidence, but they sure showed it to me with the work they have done... just my .02

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
That is good to hear, my point is that its hard to be a true professional tech when you don't do much work or expierence very few. I haven't heard any bad things from them. :)

Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
new to this board, but saw the topic and had to post.

I've bought bikes from both Barnette's and Myer's (2 Guzzi's, 2 Ducs) and I have a definite preference.

The guys at Barnette's were friendly and knowledgeable - especially when I had a wad of cash in my hand. There's one guy at the parts counter who really knows his stuff, but he's often a bit grumpy. The service techs are all great as far as I can tell. Overall, however, I've found the entire dealership to be, well, smug. Snobbish. Take it or leave it. I've experienced no sense of urgency on their part to help me get a problem fixed, a bike fixed, a part ordered, etc... I know my problem is not their problem.. but a it would be nice if they made me feel that way sometimes.

I've found Myer's to have all the good points of Barnette's with none of the bad. The people are friendly and eager to help. When I bought my '01 Monster there they quoted me a VERY good price that I knew was too good to be true. Sure enough, the owner called back the next day and told me he had been working from the previous year's price list. But, he said, a deal was a deal and he stuck to the price he first gave me and he basically sold me the bike at cost. Then, he opened on Sunday morning so I could pick it up! The entire deal took less than 30 minutes and then I was heading up the Parkway to Boone on my way to Chapel Hill (somehow it was "on the way" at the time).

I do 99% of my own service, but I do take bikes in for work sometimes. I've found Myer's to be just as expensive and have just as much lead time as Barnette's, but they are nice about it. More than once they've told me a repair would take several days, but they guaranteed when it would be done and they promised me I'd have a bike to ride on that day - even if it wasn't mine.

These days if I need parts that have to come from the dealer, I plan a trip West. That kind of customer service deserves my business.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
As far as getting parts from dealers...

I decided a while back to deal exclusively with Ducati Seattle.

Their customer service is top notch (even over the phone.)

And their DML Titanium Member discount offsets the cost of shipping.

Plus my part shows up on my doorstep instead of me having to go to the dealership to pick it up.

·
Premium Member
671 Posts
Pimpzilla said:

I am sorry that you had a bad experience BUT I might be able to help in the future. My wife is the office manager and I used to be the parts manager 3 years ago and still have ties to the shop if needed. My wife surprised me with a brand new S2R1000 for Christmas. I have not had a bike since 2003 so I am very excited to mod this one. I will be going to the shop quite a bit since there is only 1 person that I trust to do anything to my new baby. Let me know if you have an issue and I will call the owner personally to help IF I can.

Phil
Phil,

Thanks for the heads up. I'll definitely look you up if I need anything that you can be of help with. BTW, if you ever want to get out and go tear around town or hit up some back roads, PM me and we can meet up.

Billy

21 - 40 of 64 Posts