Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought the Givi 780FZ rear luggage rack for my 2010 M696. It mounts to the 4 bolts under the passenger area of the rear seat. Anyone ever remove those bolts? I can't get any one of them to budge without stripping out the 5mm allen head. I even have an impact driver punch (the kind you hit with a hammer and it forces down and turns at the same time) and that won't even break them loose. I can't heat the bolt because the rear bracket under the bolt is painted. Any ideas besides drilling them out? I'm guessing they are either locktighted in or the steel bolt corroded some to the aluminum (or magnesium) frame they are screwed into.
[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
There are numerous threads about those 4 pain in the ass bolts. i once tried taking them off and gave up before i stripped the heads. Have you tried penetrating oil? I heard great things about 50/50 acetone and dextron ATF mix. I have yet to try it though.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There are numerous threads about those 4 pain in the ass bolts. i once tried taking them off and gave up before i stripped the heads. Have you tried penetrating oil? I heard great things about 50/50 acetone and dextron ATF mix. I have yet to try it though.
I haven't tried penetrating oil. It doesn't look like the oil would reach the threads. The cap head on the bolt is pretty tight up against the mounting plate. Looks like I may have to skip the luggage rack. I have a nice expensive Givi case off of my last bike I wanted to put on the Monster, as I commute a lot. I do have the DP tail bag now which is working out well. Can never have enough storage though!

·
Registered
195 Posts
The only other thing I can think of would be to grind/cut a slot across the head to try to be able to use a flat-head screwdriver or such against it. You risk breaking the head off, but it sounds like the hexhead is about done, anyway.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
I'd give it a try anyway. You'll likely use the oil some other time anyway if you work on your own things, so you have little to lose. spray it and let it sit a few hours. Let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'd give it a try anyway. You'll likely use the oil some other time anyway if you work on your own things, so you have little to lose. spray it and let it sit a few hours. Let us know how it turns out.
Sounds good, I'll give it a try. Already have the oil.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts