Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What tank bags fit well on the M696?

I saw the pic in the other thread of the rear seat bag -- that looks good! Anyone know of a dealer who has one in stock? The ones I have called are out of stock and they estimate 6 or more weeks to get one.

·
Registered
197 Posts
a lot of DP accessories are taking a long time to arrive.

i saw one at battley cycles, MD. on tuesday. it was sitting on an 1100 in the showroom.
http://www.battley.com/

·
Registered
197 Posts
what do you know? forums can not only be really helpful and informative, but can sometimes get you what you want. i'm glad you scored.

incidentally, this bag is very tough. on our labor day weekend ride, i unzipped it from the rear and put it on the ground in the parking space next to the bike. while i was taking my jacket off, an SUV pulled up right next to me and run over the bag, trapping it underneath.

no damage, just a few scuffs and a bit of a fray here and there. no other problems.

DP rear bag - tested tough :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I like how the main bag zips off and leaves the base with the two side pouches. Good design.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I was really happy with the performance of my DP seat bag on my Key West trip in November. It is very easy to take on and off the bike. Since it doesn't have all those straps and buckles flopping around, it's also very easy to carry when it's off the bike.

When it is fully expanded, it's pretty tall. I had to master the technique of putting my knee on the seat and grabbing my pant cuff to pull my leg behind me in front of the bag to get on the bike.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Throwing a leg over with the DP seat bag definitely takes some practice; that was the first thing I noticed. It's really convenient and has decent storage space, too.

If you want to go all sorts of crazy, you can even install the semi-rigid side bags and maximize your carrying capacity. It's pricey but it looks great. You might get some that say you can't have the saddle bags and seat bag installed at the same time, but you can - I used all three for a few months late last year.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The DP tail bag is a nice piece. I leave the base (with the two side pockets) on my bike all the time.

Gives a little extra storage for keys etc, and with no passenger seat cowl, less plastic to worry about scratching :)

·
Registered
40 Posts

I have all the DP luggage. Two comments.

The straps on the tank bag do not have a great buckle system in the front as they used a standard strap buckle but attached it to the bag using the weakest part. Used some twist ties from a kids toy packaging to reinforce it after one of them broke. After this happened the stitching holding to the bag came loose so I re-did it with some heavier thread. It is better now but still hard to get really tight to the tank and will slide left or right a little bit. Can never get the straps to stay on top for the centre cover.

Saddle bags lock is on the inside which makes it difficult to get off when stuffed with clothes. They are on backwards in the picture.

Other than these two minor issues, the stuff is great and stays put (with the exception of the tank bag as previously noted) even under spirited riding through the twisties. Put 3000+ km on with the set up on a trip last summer with no issues other than those mentioned.

·
Registered
277 Posts
How is the tail bag? Where does it attach/secure to the bike? How large is the capacity?

·
Registered
40 Posts
It is a two piece system with a lower part with two smaller pockets that goes on the seat in place of the rear seat cowl. The bag zips on/off to this part and is very secure. I think the capacity is 18 litres and it is expandable. I use it for all my heavy stuff as the saddle bags are only rated for 4 kgs and the tank bag likes to slide around.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts