Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just thought I would share this, mainly for the aircooled Ducatis.

The back story on this oil. I have no association with LubeAlloy. Just a damn good oil.

Another bike I ride is a Suzuki DR650. While notoriously reliable, their biggest weakness is gear pitting and in some cases catastrophic failure. There are several thoughts of the root cause of these failures that range from metalurgical issues, design issues (they run relatively small gears), etc etc thru to oil degradation as a consequence of being aircooled and oil temps running hotter than ideal impacting viscosity etc..... Other theories include pitting as a consequence of cavitation and the usual even high end oil not up to the job of protecting the gear faces.

The DR oil temp often gets to 130-150 degrees. Sometimes higher.

Some people have gone to the trouble and expense of using complete replacements gearsets from Nova.....not a cheap exercise given its, after-all its only a DR!!

LubeAlloy, a boutique oil blender in NSW was approached to develop a specific blend that would offer maximum protection to the DR. The focus was the gearbox. The DR utilises a wet clutch....but obviously this oil is fine in a dry clutch application.

The Lubealloy LA35ES, a 15w/50 ester synthetic that the manufacturer reckons only loses 3% of its 100C viscosity at 150C. It has been trialed in a number of DR's now over the past 1-2 years or so. None of teh bikes using the LubeAlloy oil have failed. The level of material paste on magnetic drain plugs also reduce with this oil.

Anyway, just putting it out there for others to consider. But this will be my goto oil for oil cooled bikes.

·
Registered
M1100S - H1100S - XT250
213 Posts
Interesting option. How much is 4L?

I use Penrite Ester Full Syn 10w40 on both my Monster1100 and Hypermotard 1100, air-cooled, dry clutch and both have more than 70k kms. I change it roughly every 2-3 track days or 6000 kms or yearly whichever comes first.

The main appeal is that I can get it cheap from SupercheapAuto when they run 30% discount on all Penrite oils (one a month on average).
I bought my last 20L bottle for $243.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's not a cheap oil. But given its particular formulation and performance at sustained high temperature means, I suspect, it has no equal. The full ester base oil is just the starting point.

Give the fella a call. You will talk to the owner/oil blender/petroleum engineer all at the same time!! Its a small business.....he could well have a better option....just know the above oil formulation is damn good.

Its a bit like Castrol Universal Plus 75w-90. This is perhaps the best final drive oil you can buy bar none. It was specifically developed for the SuperTaxis a decade or more ago when they were blowing up final drives in their race cars. Castrol fortunately made it available to us average Joe Blows..... Pretty much everyone I know in the racing game runs this oil in their diffs and many run it in their gearboxes.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts