21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Lowered

I did the same for my wife (5'2").

Shaved the stock seat.

Replaced the clevis with the 696's clevis:
(The 696 doesn't have that collar around the base of the threads)

Then dropped the front forks by half an inch.

Now she's on the balls of both her feet with riding boots (as opposed to before with just one foot touching and the other dangling 6inches in the air).

·
Registered
22 Posts
I did the same for my wife (5'2").

- Shaved the stock seat.
- Replaced the clevis with the 696's clevis:

Then dropped the front forks by half an inch.

Now she's on the balls of both her feet with riding boots (as opposed to before with just one foot touching and the other dangling 6inches in the air).
Thanks for the handy tip.... definitely gonna follow your steps on this. :)

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I would pick up an adjustable rearset, get the comfort seat and put in a set of bar risers.
You'll just have to be mindfull of the lower pegs when you get aggressive on the turns.

The comfort seat will give you an additional inch or two and you should be able to pick up about the same with the lowered pegs.

You should be able to do all that for $800 to $1000

·
Registered
11 Posts
Replaced the clevis with the 696's clevis:

---------696/100 shock clevis:

btw, the 1100 shock clevis is 11mm longer than the 696, and creates a different seat height of about 34mm...i doubt that there's anything else contributing the the 1100 ride height compared to 696

also, you can add up to a 5mm spacer on a 696 clevis to lengthen it to about half as much as the 1100 clevis-

i don't know what length the 796 clevis is- (perhaps about the same as the 696 clevis with a 5mm spacer ?)

theres' no way to drop the 696 forks enough to match the 1100 clevis, but if you swap out to superbike forks, they're quite a bit longer.....

the stock 696 forks were the only forks of any bike i have (mostly Ducatis)that cant keep the front wheel on the ground in a fast turn...you can pay a couple thou to replace the innards, or just get rid of them and use superbike forks...the 1098 forks i used are GREAT- compared to the stock 696 forks.
..same shock/spring, etc on both 696 and 1100 monsters- the stock spring is way too soft for ~200 pound rider-the 'soft' section of the spring is already coil-bound when static/with just the rider...meaning it's become a very short single-rate spring by the time you put your feet on the pegs..there are no dual-rate springs that could fit anywhere that i could find, but single rate springs are easy to find in a rate to match your weight

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sorry to start a thread with the same type of question I have read here a few times, I am hoping someone here has a M796 with a lowering link kit installed. I have spent the last couple of days and can't seem to find anything but dead links to old parts. I am new to the forum and new to my monster so I am sorry if I overlooked the answer to my question in my searches. I am a new monster owner and a fairly short guy(5'9" with short legs). Being an somewhat unexperienced I would be more comfortable if I could touch flat footed. I would be grateful for any help anyone could give me.
A lot depends on your hip rotation you might just settle for getting one foot down had a m750 I think the seat hight was 780 that was not an issue until the years go on and my hip didn't like rotating also handy little tricks when getting off the bike side stand down engine off 1 foot down throw your leg over the back of the bike trouble is with lowering the bike all sorts of handling issues ground clearance cost I'm now on a Harley bobber you haven't got to worry about handling on that thing it doesn't handle the old water buffalo even though it did nearly break me back on 3-day ride might be a suggestion take up martial arts the kicking exercises will come in handy 😀

·
Registered
2012 Monster 1100 EVO & 2003 749 Superbike
1 Posts
Kitchen utensil Gas Tool Nut Machine

Hey Gang, I know this is an old thread but I thought someone might find it as helpful as I did, and this picture might be of interest. Back story: I just bought a 2012 Monster 1100 EVO and I wanted to lower it a tad. I'm 5' 7" with short legs (30" inseam) and I was on the balls of my feet on the stock bike. I took out a level and a tape measure for an accurate assessment....and the base of the seat was almost exactly 32". I dropped the forks about 5/8" and installed the "cleavis" (or whatever we are calling the upper shock mount) from the 696 (part number 829.1.970.1A called out in this thread.). When I was done, the seat was 31" (a full inch lower). What a difference an inch makes! (That's what she said). I can now almost flat foot the bike, and that makes me feel a lot more comfortable. In the attached picture, the top cleavis is the stock one and the lower one is the 696 version, just for comparison sake. Two thumbs up on this excellent mod. Thanks so much for the help! LOVE this amazing bike!

-Birdman

21 - 30 of 30 Posts