Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry to start a thread with the same type of question I have read here a few times, I am hoping someone here has a M796 with a lowering link kit installed. I have spent the last couple of days and can't seem to find anything but dead links to old parts. I am new to the forum and new to my monster so I am sorry if I overlooked the answer to my question in my searches. I am a new monster owner and a fairly short guy(5'9" with short legs). Being an somewhat unexperienced I would be more comfortable if I could touch flat footed. I would be grateful for any help anyone could give me.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Do you already have the "low seat"? That seems like the cheapest and easiest way to give yourself an inch or two.

The rear shock goes directly from the frame to the swingarm, there isn't a 'dog bone' link that can be shortened, like on other bikes.

You could probably change out the spring to bring the back down a bit.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info, that is exactly what I thought I was going to hear. I was planning on getting the low seat. the low seat says 20mm lower(~.8"), and I was thinking that I would need about 1.5" total to touch flat footed. I think I will just start with the low seat for a while and see if I can adjust. I am probably just being paranoid about being "that guy" that dumps his bike at the stop light. This is my first street bike, until now it has been all dirt for me.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Listen, EVERYBODY is at least a little bit afraid of being seen as 'that guy'. Some people just won't admit it.

Have you picked up a good pair of boots yet? I noticed that my Alpinestars boots give me a bit more height than my other riding shoes.

I've been doing quite a bit of research on the subject because I'm thinking of giving my 696 to my brother, (who is in the 5' 6" - 7" range) Some people say I'm overly generous, but let's face it, it's just an excuse to get a 796 or 1100 evo.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I have the low seat. According to the literature, it should be about .7 inch lower which is pretty accurate. Also, the seat is flatter so that you are not so pressed against the tank as much. You may also screw down the back shock to still get it a tad lower. I don't know if that will be low enough - either way, you'll probably have to learn and get comfortable with not being able to flat foot the bike. Good luck.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Glad to hear that. I ordered a pair of icon boots too. Hopefully that and the low seat will get me there. My only issue now is that my helmet and jacket are both icon, and with the addition of the boots I am gonna look like an icon fanboy with all brand new icon gear.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I too have come from a dirt bike background and stand @ 5'6". You should be used to not touching flat-footed being on most dirt machines. I just got a M796 as well and feel really secure with just the balls of my feet touching ground. I think before changing anything, ride for at least 1K miles and see how you feel then.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am pretty used to not being able to touch, but I am not used to constant stopping, pushing into parking spots, and dealing with jackasses on busy city streets. That is where being able to touch flat footed would really give me some more confidence.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello. I'm 5' 1" and I got my Monster to be low enough that I can put both feet on the ground.
This is what I had done:
I had the pre-load cranked down to support my tiny frame and still alot for a second passenger and bumps. (took it into the dealer and the suspension tech helped)
Then I had the front triple tree dropped down .6 inches.
Next I went to Helomot.com and picked up a pair of Daytona boots that gave me a good 1.7" of extra reach without needing to adjust my rearset.
I also had my seat shaved down to fits my inseam and seating position rather than picking up a low seat. So my seat is comfortable and the width allowed for more reach.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm 5'6" and I have a custom lowered seat with gel inserts. This seat was shaved on the sides as well so my stance wasn't so wide. With my boots, I feel pretty good. Without boots, I feel like I can't reach the ground properly. I'm hesitant in lowering the suspension.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I guess I am lucky to be 6' tall as it seems as if the bike was made for me already. The 696 felt too short, the Hyper was a bit tall but doable, and the 1100 is a tiny bit tall too... not much...

I can feel for the confidence thing though because I had a bike when I was a kid that was way too tall, but that was on dirt, and like others have said you don't have to stop so much on dirt. I'm sure there are things that can be done to adjust the monster to your liking though. With different seat, lowering suspension etc.

Might be best to have this work done at the shop so they can help you get the right set-up with safety in mind. They should do these mods for you so your purchase is comfortable and safe....I would hope they would do them for you no charge or at least tell you the right things to do or purchase anyway. I know my shop was very helpful when it came to questions like these.

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
From what I understand there is a piece (someone I spoke to referred to it as a Clevis) that the top of the shock bolts to. The 696 has a lower / smaller clevis and you can swap that out on the 1100 and 796 to get them another little bit lower.

I have not verified so cannot tell you how accurate the info is, but this was coming from someone who used to work at the now defunct Cliff's cycle revolution. There is a thread on it here somewhere if you are strong in the Search-Fu

·
Registered
31 Posts
I replaced the clevis on my 796 with a 696 last weekend. The clevis is the same but the 796 has a spacer welded to it which raises the bike. The 1100 spacer is even taller. Lowered the bike maybe half an inch. Part was $26 and took about an hour. The dealer wanted $300 to do the same.

- remove seat
- remove gas tank panels
- remove right side and bottom gas tank bolts. I pulled up the tank about an inch and propped it up with a wrench between it and the frame and was able to get to the shock mounting bolt no problem
- remove bolt
- with the bike on a jack, raise it so the top of the shock is visible under the frame. Once the bolt is off the bike will lift but the rear tire will stay on the ground.
- replace clevis
- lower the bike so the top shock bolt is back in the mounting hole.
- reassemble
- I also had to drop the front end just a bit to maintain the geometry of the bike.

I'm 5'6" and can just about flat foot it with both feet on the ground. I also have a standard seat that was shaved down but I don't know if it's the same as the DP low seat.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts