Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So on new years eve, I decided to ride when I shouldn't have, and I put a bike down for the first time. I'm very fuzzy on the fall itself, but I can clearly remember picking the bike up, pointed the wrong direction on the street. At the time I was wearing my full gear, so my injuries were very minor, outside of being sore from the whole thing. When it's all said and done, I'm happy I was able to ride home from my first fall. As a bizarre twist of fate, it had been knocked over about two weeks ago while it was parked. That fall clipped the bar-end mirror, broke the clutch lever in half, and a tiny ding in the tank from the handlebars; thank god for frame sliders. The clutch lever is still on order, it would have been knocked off on NYs if it had been replaced.

The damage from the fall was as follows:
1) Clutch peg has rash, but isn't bent.
2) Left pipe has rash going almost the full distance.
3) Right turn signal broken off of beer tray, no longer functioning.

So my questions are pretty straight forward. Is there a fairly simple way of buffing or otherwise fixing the scratches along the can? Where should I start in terms of fixing the turn signal? It was hanging by the wire when I got home. I tried replacing the bulb but it didn't make a difference. Should I disassemble the rear fixture and see if I can find a visible break in the connection?

I've been putting off a tail chop, but the breaking of my beer-tray kinda seals that deal now ;) I had planned on remounting the stock turn signals in and behind the brakelight, but if the one isn't working I might just look into alternative blinkers for the project now.

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
How deep are the scratches? If they're significant, the polisher will probably have to sand the pipe down before polishing, this can be pretty expensive, plus it may not be the look you want. The stock pipes seem to have a sandblasted finish on them from the factory, and if you're serious about getting those scratches out, it will be tough to get it back to the way they were for cheap. Now, if you're ok w/ a brushed finish (which looks better on a 'dark' IMO), remove the pipes, take some fine grit sand paper and sand the entire pipe(in the long direction), then take some scotchbrite (red is pretty fine) and keep brushing it until you get the look you want. The whole thing will cost you less than 10 bucks, and shouldn't take more than an afternoon or 2.

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
lars.oakland said:
So on new years eve, I decided to ride when I shouldn't have, and I put a bike down for the first time. I'm very fuzzy on the fall itself, but I can clearly remember picking the bike up, pointed the wrong direction on the street. At the time I was wearing my full gear, so my injuries were very minor, outside of being sore from the whole thing. When it's all said and done, I'm happy I was able to ride home from my first fall.
I have to ask... were you drinking? Perhaps I'm reading into this too much.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Totally appreciate the tips on the pipes, might be worth doing the can chop job while they're off the bike. To answer hemi, drinking would be a bit of an understatement. I didn't want to sound like I was bragging about wiping out when I had a few too many.

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
Thanks for responding with honesty.

I'm WAY careful to stick to < 1 beer per hour when I'm on my bike, and I don't like to have more than one period in a sitting unless I'm also eating something (when out on the bike). I too have a habit of overinduldging, but I have noticed that being on the bike helps to keep that in check. This is not a better-than-thou comment,just something I've noticed. I also only carry liability on my Monster (that make a difference too).

Live & learn & give thanks that the result was minor this time around! [thumbsup]

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
If the are the stock pipes... check out ebay or even post in the parts wanted section. Stock pipes got for nothing. If you are lucky someone might even give them to you. A friend of mind like to live by this moto with his car "If it breaks... upgrade it" maybe time for some new pipes??

1 - 7 of 7 Posts