Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My low fuel indicator on my 02 MS$ does not come on. Any ideas on how to fix it? I have no idea. Could it be a programming/software issue that could be reset?

·
Premium Member
881 Posts
Can't really help you, but can tell you that I have heard it to be a fairly common problem. Mine comes on too soon, the tank is 3.6 gallons and I have never put more than 2 gallons in it at a time.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Gracie said:
My low fuel indicator on my 02 MS$ does not come on. Any ideas on how to fix it? I have no idea. Could it be a programming/software issue that could be reset?
Most likely either the sending unit (under the tank) is bad or the light burnt out. Easiest fix is to keep an eye on your trip meter and use that to determine when you need to hit the gas station.

·
Registered
505 Posts
truerider said:
There's a low fuel light warning?
Yep, there is one. But the coolest feature of this light is the actual sending unit itself. It's held in by a plastic compression nut, and is located directly above the back cylender. When the nut breaks, fuel pours all over the back cylender...

Luckily, the bike wasn't hot when the nut chose to break on mine.....

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
If you lift the tank you will see a connector with four wires. Two are for the fuel pump and two are for the sending unit. Off hand I can't tell you which is which without a wiring diagram, but if you someone with a diagram could chime in (Nick?), take those two wires and brige them. Turn the key on. If you now have a low fuel light it is the $en$or.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys. Hey, here another related question. When the tank goes from the main to the reserve, is there a very brief moment when the bike does not get full gas, and for a second you cant get any power, as though you are running out of gas?

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
Gracie said:
Thanks guys. Hey, here another related question. When the tank goes from the main to the reserve, is there a very brief moment when the bike does not get full gas, and for a second you cant get any power, as though you are running out of gas?
"reserve" on a monster isn't a reserve in the conventional sense - it's simply the level below which the low fuel light comes on. There is no interuption of flow, or any switching that occurs.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
C Fresh said:
Can't really help you, but can tell you that I have heard it to be a fairly common problem. Mine comes on too soon, the tank is 3.6 gallons and I have never put more than 2 gallons in it at a time.
Yep, mine to. I get 114 miles out until the yellow like comes on. It's either to soon, or a HUGE reserve.

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
Welcome to the club. Mine stopped working years ago.

howie said:
If you lift the tank you will see a connector with four wires. Two are for the fuel pump and two are for the sending unit. Off hand I can't tell you which is which without a wiring diagram, but if you someone with a diagram could chime in (Nick?), take those two wires and brige them. Turn the key on. If you now have a low fuel light it is the $en$or.
My connector only has two wires howie. Is that the problem?

;D

·
Premium Member
322 Posts
mine comes on after about 100 miles into a full tank. it then turns off and doesnt turn back on even after i run out of gas. running out of gas blows bigtime even with roadside assistance, so now i just make it a point to refil every 100 miles.

i guess i could replace the sensor or have it checked out but dont know if i could trully trust it again.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Every time I fill up, I just reset the trip. None of my other bikes had lights on them. I just went by the trip. I'll get 135 miles easily one a tank of gas, regardless of how I ride. Try that perhaps. Ignore the yellow light, maybe.

Tom

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
ducpainter said:
Welcome to the club. Mine stopped working years ago.
My connector only has two wires howie. Is that the problem?

Mine too. Carbies have two, FI four, two for the sensor and two for the fuel pump.

;D

·
Premium Member
873 Posts
My light died a couple years ago and I never bothered to get it fixed. I also go by the trip odometer with no problems.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
pitbull said:
My light died a couple years ago and I never bothered to get it fixed. I also go by the trip odometer with no problems.
That's really the best way to go. Here, it's so sunny sometimes that you couldn't see the light even if it did come on. So, I use only my trip meter.

·
Registered
208 Posts
has anybody filled up their tanks and then rode until they actually ran out of gas just to see how many miles they get to a full tank??

·
Registered
189 Posts
I have a S2R 05 My light comes on at about 110-115 when I am riding on the freeway. Sooner if I am riding in the city a lot. But I actually rode it to 138 once and it still went on without a hitch.

I also always reset my trip just in case. Old habit from my cage.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts