Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A while ago I fitted a Vapor speedo and dash panel to my 2001 900ie. Traced the wires that fed the original low fuel light, indictor repeater etc and spliced them into the vapor lights, which are conventional filament bulbs and all worked fine. But I found the warning lights a little too dim to see easily in bright sunlight so swapped all the bulbs out for LED's, much better. I made sure that the tank was low on fuel before I did the swap, so I could be sure to get the LED polarity correct, bulb lit up, all good. Down to the gas sation and filled up, not so good, warning light stayed on.....back home, tried putting a normal bulb in, and it didn't light up, (tank full, so correct result) so I wondered if for some reason the system didn't like the resistance offered by the LED (same issue as LED indicators maybe) so added an LED indicator resistor I had lying around, put the LED bulb back in and it stayed off, all good I assumed. Right up until I ran the tank dry on the way to work this morning, and no warning light! I've now put a normal bulb back in, and it doesn't light up, with either a full or empty tank. Put the LED bulb back in (no resistor) and it stays on, full or empty! I'm guessing that somewhere along the process, I've fried the tank sensor...anyone know how they work? Presumably it's something a little more technical than a ball and float? If I track down a new/secondhand one, I'd still like to be able to use it with the LED bulb, as the filament type is really too dim.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts