Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so I have a new S2r, completely stock, yeah yeah, reflectors, tail etc. We just built a new house and money isn't exactly waiting around to be spent. I am trying to figure out which mods pack the best bang for the buck. I won't be able to ride during winter, and I would like to spend some time playing around with wrenches. I am pretty hands on, however, I would hate to void my warranty.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK so the bike goes in tomorrow for its 1000km service. I will get them to install a 14 tooth front sprocket.

What exactly is involved with coring my own pipes? I could seriously use a little more Monster growl.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Pre-chop the fender! ie, get rid of the hideous license plate hanger, fab your own out of .064" aluminum. Cost: About $5

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
i am a self crowned king of cheap mods...

Here is what ive done...

Tail chop - FREE.99! ;D well it was like $.98 for aluminum to cut for a new license plate bracket. (i did that the night i brought her home!)

cored pipes - $15 if you have dremmel, and rivet gun. if not... then lookin more around 65-70.

Painted clutch plate and springs - $10 - two high temp spray paint cans and one clear coat.

painted belt covers (twice) - same paint cans... did them black the first time around, now they are white with black trim

painted switches on handlebars- $5 for tape used to wrape the bike- still used same paint cans :) (didnt like how they turned out. i
was a little too impatient and smeared some of the paint.)

Painted Sprocket cover - yet again... same paint cans.

Bar end mirrors - These can range in price from $10 - $120. I picked the middle of the road and got some good CRG Knockoffs. look great and function perfectly IMO.

New Rear tire - $140 installed. Not cheap... but i burned through my other one! ;D (not sure that qualifies as a mod, but thats what ive had to pay for)

600mile/1000k service - $120. Cheap compared to the $500 i was told to expect for my 6000 mile service (which im 2 miles over due for!)

Feeling good, looking good, and loving your bike... PRICELESS!!!

There are a lot of things i would like to do to my bike. But like you... im picking things off little by little. I think the next mod for me is getting rid of that NASTY looking udder!! :-X From what i understand... thats about a $250 problem. Then probably opening up the Airbox, LED blinkers, Integrated LED Tail light, and the list goes on and on and on.....

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Run the bike on ideal weather conditions 0 deg C and at sea level (0m - 1Atm).

It's the best thing you can do from a thermodynamic point of view and surely is the cheapest one....

thumbsup

Tongue

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey guys thanks for the input!

Ctrain, (your highness?) you should write a book. "how to live with moditis on $5 a day" ;) By the time Spring gets here I should have pipes cored, 14t, bar ends, tail chop & some misc. painted bits. Thanks again.

Orfeas, the 0 deg c thing is easy here at this time of year, not so sure about the sea level thing

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
Ctrain said:
Painted clutch plate and springs - $10 - two high temp spray paint cans and one clear coat.

painted belt covers (twice) - same paint cans... did them black the first time around, now they are white with black trim

painted switches on handlebars- $5 for tape used to wrape the bike- still used same paint cans :) (didnt like how they turned out. i
was a little too impatient and smeared some of the paint.)

Painted Sprocket cover - yet again... same paint cans.
Which brand high temp sprays and clear coat do you recommend?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.