Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much louder is the open clutch than the closed.....
Does anyone have sound clips...?

·
Premium Member
3,011 Posts
in my experience, opening the clutch takes the bike from "hmm, what's that rattly noise?" to "holy damn!" some folks dig this, some don't.

and i don't have a clip, offhand. but i'm pretty sure they're floating around. someone who's better at the search feature than i am might chime in, here in a bit.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Its loud, and I didn't care for the sound. I also didn't care for the strange looks and the few comments I got. Pull your cover off and go for a ride, it only takes 5 minutes or so. [thumbsup]

-Danimal

·
Registered
165 Posts
Yeah, it's loud. I had mine removed and could hear it loud and clear over my open ARC exhaust. With the stock pipes on, holy hell. It is a nice conversation piece though. Mines an 06, which is even quieter than the pre 06 due to the use of different plates.

·
Registered
541 Posts
take off the cover and go for it, make sure you do have a dry clutch though.

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
I passed my girlfriend on an uphill highway once. She said the clutch noise was louder than the aftermarket exhaust. :eek: I've since installed an aluminum clutch basket. The noise is much more tolerable now.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Don't know how many miles on your clutch, but the noise goes up with mileage.

Thing is, as the bike owner, you don't notice it.
Coworker made a comment about my clutch a while ago and I replied "you learn to love it." "Not that!" he said.

Then I realized just how friggin' loud it had become. Put an Aluminum DP in and it's a nice loud now [thumbsup]

·
Premium Member
846 Posts
>:D It's loud. >:D

<manicallaugh>
BWahahahahaha
BWAHAHAHAHahahahahaha
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHahahahahah
</manicallaugh>

>:D It's very very loud. >:D

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Paper5tr3et7 said:
take off the cover and go for it, make sure you do have a dry clutch though.
;D [clap]

·
Registered
541 Posts
Rickster said:
;D [clap]
People have asked before, just covering all the bases.

·
Registered
3,542 Posts
Mine is closed (for now) but one of the guys on the ride Saturday has an open one. The difference is significant. With the cover closed you dont really get the full "chronic masterbator with a pocket full of change" effect.

However, when it came to loudest exhaust my Arrow Carbys kicked ass.

I've often wondered, do the open clutches on Ducati MotoGP and SBK bikes sound like that too? How about the dry clutches on the Japanese race bikes?

·
Registered
505 Posts
Mac900 said:
I passed my girlfriend on an uphill highway once. She said the clutch noise was louder than the aftermarket exhaust. :eek: I've since installed an aluminum clutch basket. The noise is much more tolerable now.
Clutch shouldn't of been making noise at that time ???

Mine is quiet with a load on it, it's during idle, deceleration or holding in the clutch lever is when it's noisy.

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
88BlueTSiQuest said:
Clutch shouldn't of been making noise at that time ???

Mine is quiet with a load on it, it's during idle, deceleration or holding in the clutch lever is when it's noisy.
Actually, while stilling going up hill, there were a few moments of "coasting", not loaded but not decelerating, and it was clanking away pretty good. Plus, I had a rock wall on my right side that it could echo off of.

Try this sometime. Take a stock steel clutch basket all by itself when you are doing a clutch job. Stick your finger in the center hole to hold the basket and tap a wrench against it. It's like ringing a bell.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
My steel clutch was very noisy but very worn, the more space you have between the fingers and plates the louder it is and more you need to replace ti anyway. The aluminum clutch is a much duller sound.

·
Registered
286 Posts
also as they wear, not only do they get louder, but they start to wear your basket more.

i was going to try an alum one with the stainless steel inserts.. has anyone tried the barnett one. there is also one with titanium inserts... anyone try this one... my clutch is soo loud now.. .. sound like i have a bag of nickels in the engine.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
I would go with 2 metals of close to the same hardness, otherwise it's gonna get loud fast as one beats the other one up.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts