Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

Lost Your Red Key & Code Card?? Here is Info for you

48K views 39 replies 29 participants last post by  ARod61 
#1 ·
Thank you for contacting Ducati North America.

I'm sorry to learn that you did not receive the red key or the code card with your Ducati. Please keep in mind that without code card you will not be able to bypass the immobilizer in the event of a no-start situation and will need to replace the dash, lockset, and ECU. Furthermore, without a red key, you will also need to replace the same three components in order to make additional black keys. Ducati does not keep the records on file to make replacement keys for a bike based on the VIN or mechanical code. We strongly encourage you to contact the previous owner in hopes that he is able to locate these items.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us or an Authorized Ducati Dealership. To find an Authorized Ducati Dealership, please visit www.ducatiusa.com and click on "Dealer Locator".

Best regards,

Customer Service

Ducati North America

10443 Bandley Drive
Cupertino, CA 95014

www.ducatiusa.com
Tel: (408) 253-0499 x4411
Fax: (408)253-4099

See less See more
#34 ·
#6 ·
How can I help
since u asked: i have the red key and 2 black keys. but i have no code card, and no code. previous owner says he never had one. dealer he purchased the bike from says they have no info for me and cannot help. do u know how to determine the correct code for the bike somehow? bike is a 2005 M1000s.

thanks.

#10 ·
Only a black key

I have a 2004 M800ie with only a black key. I got a blank and took it to a local locksmith. They duplicated the key and cut the blank. It worked fine. Cloning the black keys works. I even got the locksmith to write down the key codes that she read from the machine. There were two of them. I'm not sure what encoding scheme they use that has two codes.

I do not know what situation requires a red key unless it is to reenable a locked security system. I have been told (or read) that the red key enables you to make new black keys using the bike electronics.

To get new blanks or get your black key cloned by mail visit www.allmotorcyclekeys.com. Located in Maine, USA. Jim has been helpful and is an interesting person to speak with. My key was $15 US and still is.

There is another situation that I don't like. A person started my bike with my mechanical key that does not have a transponder. He used a device that he called a 'zapper'. He turned the mechanical key in the lock and triggered the zapper. It started the bike several times over a few days with only the first try not working. The 'zapper' was not his and got returned to the owner. I was not allowed to ask who that was.

#15 ·
Same here. Picked up a 2012 696 this afternoon.

Read the various manuals, etc, last night.

I bought my bike at auction, but was able to contact the owner and get the code card and two original keys from him. He bought the bike new.

There are no red keys for the 696, just the two black ones. Sounds like the codes are essential though - make a photocopy of the card or make a note of the codes somewhere safe.

#28 ·
If you are a member of an affiliated Ducati Owners Club, you are then eligible to join MyDucati.com Fill out your personal details and a Ducati Code will be created unique to you and this will remain your Desmo Owners Club, Members number. If you have previously signed up with Desmo Owners Club (Italy), LOGIN and ensure your details are up to date. You might now wish to participate in other areas available in this site!

The benefits of joining the DOC means members who own Ducati Motorcycles (newer models that were issued with a Ducati card) can view an electronic version specific to that bike.

The requirement is for members to submit the details of their bike in the MY GARAGE area. A further option is to scan a registration document with your name, VIN number and Engine number, and verification of your identity. (Addresses can be blanked out for privacy).

You can upload a photo of your motorcycle. You have an option to add more motorcycles that you own. All of this is shown in the Tutorial above.

After Ducati verify the details you will have access to electronic versions of the original Ducati card that came with your motorcycle and access to that models Owner’s Manual and a full Parts List.

Each year you receive a DOC Members pack. In the pack you will receive a Red DOC Membership card, and other promotional items. The Red card has space on the back for your name and the Ducati Code that is issued when you complete a profile with your details at DOC Italy.

On presenting your DOC Italy (RED CARD) when you visit the Ducati Factory in Bologna, you will qualify for free entry to the Factory Tour, and free entry to the Ducati Museum adjacent to the factory. There are also discounts on certain items in the merchandise shop when you present the Desmo Owners Club card.

#29 ·
Help! I could really use some advice. I just purchased a 2014 696 from a private seller. It’s my first DucatI, I’m really excited about it. I thought I did all my research before on things to look out for on buying a used Ducati. The bike is clean, garage kept, never dropped 1400 miles. Just serviced new belts, battery, oil etc.

All the service records were there, all the original manuals. Only one problem, only one key and no key code. I was not aware of how important having the key code is. I asked for the extra key and was told it was lost and the dealer could get me a new one.

The dealer informed me they could get a key and have it cut but it would not turn on the bike.

I stumbled across this thread and excited that this online community exists to help. It seems to have be a problem others have encountered. I was seeing if there were any new advice that could be offered.

#36 ·
Hi you guys my name is William I bought a 2004 Ducati 620 monster it didn't run when I bought it it didn't come with now red key are code card and they drill a hole in the ignition so I order a new key new ignition and still don't not turn over can some one help me I don't have money to be putting in this bike please some one let me now thank you