Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My back patio is covered so I have my bike stored a foot from my house and chained to one of those Kryptonite eye hooks that you bolt into the ground. I've relubed the chain, changed the oil, and put in some fuel stabilizer. I've heard people say not to keep it under a cover the entire time and I've heard others say that as long as the cover is vented it shouldn't be a problem. Any thoughts on this and is there anything else I should do?

·
Registered
322 Posts
yeah, put the bike in your kitchen. mine is in the garage and that is driving me crazy. i can't imagine leaving it outside. :-[

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
I know some people that spray the entire bike less wheels, tires, brakes, and seat with WD-40. In the spring spray it with Simple Green and hose it off. It does help in preventing corrosion.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
nissontek said:
yeah, put the bike in your kitchen. mine is in the garage and that is driving me crazy. i can't imagine leaving it outside. :-[
+1, roll it inside.
It'll be a conversation starter. ;)

·
Registered
38 Posts
somewhat similar boat-i pulled a knucklehead and picked up my bike under the (false) impression that my wife had settled on a house.

she still hasn't made up her mind what she wants, so we are still in an apartment and my bike is locked down with a cover tossed over it, in our restricted access uncovered parking lot.

being my first bike, i still have "new toy syndrome" and keep going out and playing with it every few days, but when it snows it will probably sit there for a couple weeks. is other anything else that can be done for winter outdoor storage? Other then give the wife an ultimatum to pick a freaking house before i make the choice for her.

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
+1 on the wd-40. Ducati fasteners have a cheap zinc chromate finish that will corrode after a humid day. Drape a soft, old sheet over it (you don't want to get WD on a good cover, do you?). Then loosely cover with your chice of tarp. Make sure to bring your battery inside, trickle charging once a month to keep it fresh. A little steel wool stuffed in the ends of your exhaust and airbox opening will keep any potential critters from nesting. WD it too so no rust stains. You should be sound as a pound!

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
take bike apart

put in closets

put back together in spring

don't leave it outside

go get a mini storage

go to dealer and see if they will store it for a price

go buy a mini shack at home depot

do something

don't leave out in the weather

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
Guardian Weather-All cover works well. If it's real close to your house, Battery Tender has a weather resistant model so you can keep it on the charger. I don't know where you live, but there's usually a couple of days a month where it's just cold but clear and you can ride it.

·
Premium Member
1,552 Posts
Roll it into your living room. Makes a great seat for watching Isle of Man & MotoGP on DVD!

Depending on where you live, a 5X10 self storage should be less than $50/mo. Get a few friends to go in on it with you.

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
Where are you located? Most big dealerships have a storage program.
+1 Don't remember the price, but think it was very resonable and it included hookup to a battery tender and an oil change. I only pick places to live that have a garage.

·
Premium Member
873 Posts
not sure if it gets really cold where you are, but if so, make sure you get the tires off pavement or concrete. A couple pieces of wood under the tires will do the trick.
I have a number of friends who leave their bikes out over the winter, up here in Ontario Canada, and as long as it's covered, tires are off concrete, battery is out and gas tank is topped off with some stabilizer, everything is ok dokey.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.