Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I am in desperate need of help. I bought my 99 monster 900 about a year ago and it only came with one key. Like an idiot i didnt get an extra key and i have managed to loose that one key. Is there anyway to order one with my vin number or title. My dealer says that you have to change all the locks on the bike but i really dont want to do that. I want to ride so bad. Please help.

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
Re: Lost my last key.  What do i do now

A decent locksmith could make you a new key. If it were me (but I have four total keys, with one of the originals in my safe, so this could never happen), I would remove the ignition lock and take it to a locksmith and have them make me a new set of keys.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Be glad you don't have the digtial system with the chip in the key. The dealer told me if I lost the master key it would be $2200 to replace the system. I gonna put that baby in a safe deposit box!

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
At the dealer picking up my bike: When my best friend, who's known me for a long, long time, found out what the little red key was for - he took it away from me.

Good to have friends like that! :)

jb

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think if you have that little metal "tag" (with the code on it) that comes on the keychain when you buy the bike, you should be able to send it into DNA.

Sounds like though, you bought it used and didn't receive all the stuff - good luck though with your order!

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
yeah!! As I was told for my '02 620ie.....DON"T loose the RED key!!!! or it will be BIG bucks!!

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Wow....... That is a major bummer. I have one in my safety deposit box, and Marty has one. Of course I had to collect all the ones I loaned out for Laguna Seca ;)

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I can't imagine that a key can't be ordered by VIN# for a bike without a transponder key. They must have some kind of records. Even so, Nelson is right, A locksmith is probably the quickest fix. Good luck, and tell him to make 10, no 11 keys!

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I know its ridicules that they cant look it up with a vin number. I called DNA but they haven

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, pocomike, There are alot of other duc dealers out there. Many right in the back of your favorite toilet reading material. I think the seat lock is the easiest, as long as it isn't a lock that will work within a range of key cuts, where as your ignition lock will only work with the exact cut. Plus you won't have the fumes to deal with. Best of luck.

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
Re: Lost my last key.  What do i do now

But I am going to try the lock smith route. Now what do I bring to the locksmith? I am thinking the gas tank lock since there are no wires and I just unscrew the bolts. What you think and where can I order the blank keys, anywhere online, my dealer is such a hassle. Ugh I just want to ride already.
My key has six notches in it (who knows if the new ones are the same). All of the notches are used for the ignition, but only four or five of them are used for the fuel tank and seat latch, so you can't get a fully functional key that way.

I don't know what the newer ignition locks are like. On my bike, I can take off the cover by removing two screws with an allen wrench, then disconnect the two 10mm bolts holding the ignition lock in place, using one wrench from above and one from below. Then just unplug the wires and the ignition is removed. This was required when I pulled the airbox off to rejet.

Your ignition lock just might be as easy to remove, or it could be way more "theft proof".

I think it's fine that the car and motorcycle manufacturers are making our vehicles harder to steal, but there should be some reasonable plan to help out the few who will always manage to lose their keys.

·
Premium Member
6,906 Posts
I was on the FIM site and noticed that their ECU upgrade chips do away with the immobilizer system, so that might be an alternative for folks who lose the red key...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts