Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, any help here would be appreciated. I decided to do the valves on my S4rs by myself and all had been going well, until my intake valves went kerplunk into the vertical cylinder.... dammit

They did not fall all the way through because I can still see the top's of them when I look down the valve guides. And here's the 25 cent question........

Is there any way to bring them back up without removing the head?

Thanks in advance for any ideas..... I have not touched it since they fell in for fear of them falling all the way in.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Try one of those magnets they sell at auto parts stores. You should have put it at TDC so they can't fall in

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Made a "custom" tool last night out of magnets and a 3" nail and got em out. There are no timing marks on the testastretta engines for TDC, So I set the cam mark to the mark on the engine case like they say to do and marked it myself before removing the belts.

·
Registered
39 Posts
one trick i learn from my shop foreman is stuff rope into the cylinder from spark plug hole to fill the cylinder, so the valve wouldn't fall in.

·
Registered
215 Posts
i've heard about the rope trick too. also i believe there's a dummy spark plug that has an air chuck on the other end. it suppose to use the compressed air to keep the valves closed.

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
There are no timing marks on the testastretta engines for TDC, So I set the cam mark to the mark on the engine case like they say to do and marked it myself before removing the belts.
Yes there are timing marks on the Tessy. The layshaft has a mark that when lined up with the mark on the case will put the horizontal cylinder at TDC. Once that is done you make you own marks on the cam wheels (like you did). Once the belts are removed you can turn the crank all you want. I just use a long wooden dowl rod thought the vert. spark plug hole and turn the crank until the piston is at the top. As long as the piston is up the valve will not drop in the be bore.

Good on you for doing the valve job youself.. If you take the time to bring everything dead on spec of .002" for the closer and .005 for the openers you will be very happy when you twist the throttle. The specs in the manual are way too big..

Mike

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, it's really not hard to do, just need to have some patience.

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
They didn't fall all the way in. The tops of the valves fell about an inch down the valve guide. So I made a handy tool out of a three inch nail, with the sharp end ground flat (for good contact) and an appropriate bend in it. Then I stacked about a dozen neodymium magnets on the hammer end. It took a few tries and I had to hold my tongue just right, but they came out far enough for me to grab em.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts