Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
849 Posts
pashnit.com

I assume you're picking the bike up at Del Amo Motorsports. Take the 405 North to the 10 West. The 10 will turn into PCH (Highway 1) in Santa Monica. Take that up the coast to Malibu. Voila, some of the best riding in the world.

On your second day, take the 405 a bit farther north to the 118 East to the 210 East. Take the La Canada/ Flintridge exit. Gas up at the Shell and head up into the Angeles Crest National Forest. You will weep at the beauty of the mountains and the quality of the roads. The canyons up there are longer than in Malibu, expect to spend the better part of the day exploring them all.

Give me a shout if you need a guide, I'm riding almost every day anyway.

-R.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
S4OZ, we can certainly arrange a fine tour here.
T-Vik definitely knows all of the hot spots. ;)

I hope part of your stay is over a weekend. I'd love to be able to ride with you.

If not, maybe we can BS over dinner or a beer. Or both. ;D

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
108's got a NetRobot monitoring this BB....what are the other keywords it's looking for? ;D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. It brings a sense of sanity to know that there is still a bunch of people on Earth that extend old fashioned customs like you are.

Now, nice things to say aside. It looks like the only bike shop I can find renting bikes other than Hardley is Del Amo. Are there other options? In particular I am looking for something close to LAX, for convenience. I would really like to try a late model Buell, as a matter of fact.

What weather & temperatures should I expect?

And finally, Terrible-v, do you suggest day rides with a return to base, or would it be even better if I overnight somewhere on the way of a longer loop?

Thanks again for all your help, guys.
Stefan (S4OZ)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Del Amo is the only place that your are going to find sportbikes. They are very close to LAX. Only a few exits past where Eaglerider is.
No chances of finding others like jap nakeds (e.g. Suz SV 650 or Hon Hornet)?

·
Registered
849 Posts
Del Amo is only a few minutes South of LAX. I don't know of any other bike rental place except for Eagle Rider, also by LAX (Harleys and dirtbikes).

All the loops here can be done within a day. You can stay anywhere near LAX (close to Santa Monica and reasonably close to Hollywood, about 15 miles to Malibu and maybe 30 to the ACH) or in one of the several motels along the coast. No need to overnight anywhere, unless you wanted to ride up to the Bay Area or Santa Barbara/ Kern County which at this time of the year I would not recommend (quite a bit colder and wetter up there - but during the summer, oh boy...).

The last three Januaries have been very nice. Dry, sunny, albeit a bit cold. Nothing some long johns and a good sweater underneath your leathers couldn't take care of. However, it is "winter" on this side of the globe so watch for debris after rainstorms, salt at the higher elevations, and even ice in shady spots. Always do a scouting run up and down a particular canyon before you run it hot. It only takes one overnight landslide to turn a perfectly clean corner into a deathtrap.

Read back on this page and check out the recent ride reports, that should give you a fairly good idea of what the conditions are like right now. Definitely favor weekdays. Expect heavy fog in Malibu during the morning hours this time of the year. Avoid riding Sundays (cops and tourists). Not sure when you plan on being here, but expect heavy rainstorms February thru April. Nothing you couldn't be riding in, but why try if you don't have to...

Any other questions, just ask...

-R.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nope thay just rent race racks...and MONSTER 620's!! They just added them to the menu. The site is SportBikeRental.com(sorry, I don't know how to do a link). I saw them at the Long Beach bike show and they looked like they had their sh!t together.

When are you coming and where are you coming from? That has a lot to do with your perception of cold. We'll steer you to the right roads for the right weather, no high altitude stuff.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Stefan's coming from Melbourne, southeast corner of Australia.
Leaving his early summer for our early winter...

Can you bring a Tasmanian Devil with you? I need a new pet. ;D

Tas looks hungry, wombat looks like he's gonna have a coronary!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have more or less confirmed flight details now.
Arrive 10.00am LAX on 8 Jan.
Dept 8.00am from LAX on 11 Jan.
Given jet lag and various stuffing around, I think I have two full days of riding available, 9 & 10.
I come from Melbourne, Australia.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Excellent. It's my wife's birthday on the 8th, and she's a big Aussie fan. She backpacked through the Outback by herself for about 3 months, I think, after she graduated high school. Only came back to marry me, otherwise she probably would've stayed ;D

Anyway, I only live about 15 minutes from LAX. Come party with us. Then we can go ride on the 9th and 10th.

-R.

PS: Good food is tricky to find in our beautiful country. It can be done, especially on the Westside, but it won't be cheap. What do you like, Italian, Cuban, Mexican, Steak, Seafood, or "Pacific"? Best get a bike as soon as you arrive so you're mobile. You won't get anywhere here without a vehicle.

PPS: Temps between 0 and 15 C right now, depending on altitude and time of day. It's 8am now and the sun is out. Should be a gorgeous day.

PPPS: There's a picture-posting how-to on either the Main Monster or the No Monster Content page.

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
Or we could always ride on the "south side" I can always wrangle abit of

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Terrible V & Duckman.
I don't plan to collect the bike until morning of 9 Jan. I will be tired from trip and want to find my bearings.
This includes finding somewhere to stay.

Question: do you know of a cheap and cheerful place I can crash at close to Redondo Beach & LAX?

Terrible-v, depending on how I am feeling night of 8, I may come and join you, I suppose I can catch a cab. If you want, pm me the details. Send me a phone number anyway, as we need to work out how to hook up on 9, if you are not too hung over.... 8)

ducman, I hope your 851 has some decent pipes.... :p Is the model you have the really early three colour one (with 16" front, if I remember right) or the later red one?

You can also e-mail me at [email protected]

1 - 14 of 14 Posts