Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is yet another post about lost keys. have read a lot of postes about this. Bought a used 07 monster 695 came with 1 key. My car got broken into yesterday and all my keys house etc were taken. i know the drill from reading this but the dealer told me it 725 for new cluster 1500 for ecu and 250 for ignition. this is not including labor. thats 1/2 of what i paid for the bike. lots of stuff posted about ebay and blank keys but just dont have 3000 bucks. Paying for everything u pay for after your ripped off as well as the joys of the DMVits heartbreaking to think I cant ride my bike. Any new or otherwise helpful suggestions?
thanks, scott

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
order the red key through ducati with your VIN on the bike then get two blanks through them, pretty cheap k. have a key place key your bike and make the copies. then run through the key setup through the manual. and bam 500 buck max sorry but thats the best i can do for ya.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought it was not possible to get a new red key. I never had one bought the bike without it. A mistake I wont make again. My local Ducati dealer said i can not order the red key, is this not true?

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
Ducati in BALOGONA ITALY, i think thats how you spell it, Can cut you a new RED key, as long as you have the VIN and the ENGINE code for them. The dealer doesn't know what they are talking about. If you can check the title and see if you can find the origional owner and see if he still has the key if thats an option.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ducati in BALOGONA ITALY, i think thats how you spell it, Can cut you a new RED key, as long as you have the VIN and the ENGINE code for them. The dealer doesn't know what they are talking about. If you can check the title and see if you can find the origional owner and see if he still has the key if thats an option.
whoa thats news to most of us...everyone thought its impossible...as previously thought that they did not keep track of VIN numbers and key cards...

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
Thats what i though, but for bikes that are less than 3 years old they are able to bring up the RF and re-key a red key. Thats what i was told at the test factory that i work at, and they have done it more than once while i was there.

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
it might take some looing but you can find one. Not sure on the price. ill look around and get you some prices

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
If you have full coverage on your bike, or your car, it would seem to me that it would cover this. Your keys were stolen, and now you can't operate your bike, seems simple. I wouldn't even get into the red key issue. Just tell them your keys are gone.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
haha been there home owners policy and cycle insurance. Both said they will cover the cost of the key but thats all. thanks tho.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same problem (but still have one black key) and the thought of spending $3K to fix it makes me sick.

What did you end up doing?

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Wow, this is a grim topic, I too have lost my black key to my bike, a '94, 900M. I have tried, signs, ads, searched, etc. So, what advice do you have for me. Ducati's are rare where I am, even so whenever any bike passes me, I just feel sick.
davidh

·
Registered
1 Posts
Lost my Red Key (No black keys either)

Hi everyone, I need some help desperately. I bought my '02 Ducati monster and was only given the red key from the previous owner. I have since lost the red key. I have the ducati key card with electronic code and mechanical code, but when I called the Ducati dealer, they said I needed a new

ECU - $1630.95
Dash - $793.95
Locks Kit - $496.95

Is there no other way around this, I could really use some good news? and are these prices at all reasonable? Finally, how far does the bike need to be from the red key transponder? (because if the key is lost somewhere in my house, would it activate the bike in the garage if i got a black key?)

Thanks!

Ryan

·
Registered
2 Posts
Solution

I believe I finally ran across someone that can help all those out there with missing keys:
Contact Tom at Ducati Depot
They reflashed my ECU and speedometer and cut me a new key for around $500.

Of course they will require some type of proof that you are the legal owner of the motorcycle, but they should be able to solve the problem of having an expensive piece of Ducati "art" sitting in your garage.
After a Throttle Position Sensor adjustment, I am up and running.

Hopefully this helps.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I am sorry, I haven't read the rules, so if I am breaking them, please delete this. I hate to see guys spendin so much to replace keys or even replace a defective instrument cluster or ECU. We provide this service if anyone needs help or if you have any questions.

tech AT sosdiagnostics DOT com

·
Registered
2 Posts
Lost All Keys

I wish your post was correct, but here is the text from an email I received from Ducati today, and this was based on asking about info on a 2009 Monster 1100S:

"Dear Mr. MikeOPFL,
We thank you for contacting us.

With regard to your request, we inform you that our Ducati (Monster 1100S) were delivered with two black keys and one code card. If needed, the official Ducati dealer can wipe off and re-program other black keys thanks to the code card. Please consider it is not possible to duplicate the code card, information regarding this card is not kept at our factory.
In case you have lost both black keys and the code card, you will have to change the key locks and the instrument panel. Please do not hesitate to contact your official Ducati Dealer for any further information and advice.

Best regards,

Stefan

Customer Service
Ducati Motor Holding Spa
Borgo Panigale – Italy"

·
Registered
240 Posts
When you bought your bike, you should have received a plastic card with the electronic code for the bike. Take the card, your bike and proof that you own the bike to a dealer and they can reprogram the lock for you. That's the procedure stated in the Ducati owners manual.

·
Registered
22 Posts
When you bought your bike, you should have received a plastic card with the electronic code for the bike. Take the card, your bike and proof that you own the bike to a dealer and they can reprogram the lock for you. That's the procedure stated in the Ducati owners manual.
Yeah, let me know how that works out. So far, I don't know anyone who has been able to order a cut key on the new laser keys (like the 2009 Monster) to match even if they had their code card. Sure, if you had the electronic code and a couple blanks cut to match the dealer could help. IF.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts