Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help !!! I bought my Ducati with one black key only. Yes stupid move I've discovered since as I lost it two weeks ago. My bike is safe and secure in a garage thankfully but I need to know who to contact to get my bike going again. How do I get another key etc? I'm in Sydney CBD. Can anyone assist?

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
You could try Ron at Flywheels in Mcevoy st Alexandria.

Or you will have to go to Frasers at Parramatta Rd Hombush.

Rob

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
Do you mean a 2002 M620? If so your bike has an immobilizer and you will be buying new components to replace the ECU, Gauges, and keys with locks. Unless you by chance have the code card?

·
Registered
8 Posts
God this has just happened to me as well.....I've got a 99 monster so not sure the difference between keys or locks, but I have organised to get blank keys from my local dealer then will have the locksmith come round and sort it out. damn pain in the arse.

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
Yours is easy Rob, no immobilizer.

That little tag the your dealer said was usless has the key code on it.

·
Registered
322 Posts
MonstaRob said:
also what the hell is the use of the little metal tag with a code on it?? dealer said it was useless
kinda' sounds like your dealer is useless.

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
nissontek said:
kinda' sounds like your dealer is useless.
mmm, yeah, that's terrible.

for your bike monstarob, there is no immobilizer like ducman stated and all you need is that little metal tab with the number on it. A key can be made using that number so you won't need a locksmith to come out and take a mold of your lockset or anything, just give that number to someone who knows what to do with it.

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
ducman851 said:
Do you mean a 2002 M620? If so your bike has an immobilizer and you will be buying new components to replace the ECU, Gauges, and keys with locks.
Only other option is to find someone to sell you an FIM 5.9 replacement ECU. It does away with the immobilizer. I'm told it is bascially a 1.5 stuffed into 5.9 body. Then get a locksmith to pick your lock and generate a key. That is usually under $100 in USA.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I.E = Fuel injected, so...

you have a couple options. The easiest option may be to fit the FIM ecu and have a key cut by a locksmith by taking one of your locks off the bike to them.

You could also purchase a new ECU and Gauge set with a couple of blank black chip keys. Have the locksmith cut the black keys to match your igntion, install the ECU and gauge set and boom, you're off. You won't have an immobilizer, but it will still require a "chip" type key to start (any chip key is fine) So the chances of it being stolen/hot wired are much slimmer than with the FIM ecu. This option also runs about $450 US dollars Vs. the 650+ the FIM ecu will cost.

Just food for thought, hope you get it going soon.

·
Registered
760 Posts
howie said:
The problem is it is either an '01 600 with carbs (no immobilizer) or an '02 620 IE (immobilizer). Which is it?
+1 on what Howie's asking

If there's no digital LCD's in the bottom of the analog guages, than it's got no immobilizer. If it's got that blinking light in the dash and the LCD's at the bottom of the speedo/tach, it's got the immobilizer.

For the record, all the Monsters made from 1993 to 2001 do NOT have an immobilizer 5.9 system, except for one.
The only 2001 bike that did use a 5.9 "immobilizer" system was the S4. Then in 2002, all monsters started using a 5.9 system.

HTH and best of luck with your situation.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts