Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 Ducati Monster 750M. I deploy with the military and before I left i put stabil in the tank. came back and fired it up and besides recharging the battery I had no problems. It had an oil change a month before I deployed so i didnt bother with changing the oil.

a couple of months later I am now having this issue where the bike starts up fine with the choke down and then I ride for about 5 miles or so and it feels like I am running half power. When it kicks in full power its usually a back fire and then it will kick in. the bike runs great besides this one thing. The only other thing i can add is when the choke is down i have to sometimes hit the throttle for it to be fully choked. I am going to check the spark plugs this weekend and probably replace them. I have also put seafoam in the can and the intake. If anyone has some other suggestions or might know the issue please advise. Trying to get some good feedback before I start this project. Thanks.

·
Registered
67 Posts
As you stated checking the plugs. I had a similar issue with my 748s and it turned out that someone (dealer serviced the week before) had pulled my horizontal plug wire by the wire this error left a gap between my plug and wire.
When it was cold everything normal 5 miles later backfire loss of power made me real shy to corner hard knowing I may lose power and quickly regain it after I just twisted the throttle more than normal (in a corner).

·
Registered
168 Posts
if you know noone touched your bike or you didn't do anything (like unplug wires) the best thing you can do is to drain your tank and put in fresh gas.

putting stabil is half the solution, you also need to run the bike for a good 10-15 minutes (at idle or take it for a run) to make sure the treated gas gets in the whole system.

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Sounds like your choke could be sticking. On my M750, there is a hose that seems to get in the way of the choke mechanism. The hose is on top and to the rear of the carbs, just above the choke mechansim. Its never actully been a problem, but I have used a cable tie to keep the hose out of the way. The choke relys on a fairly feeble spring to pull itself open again, so I believe if the hose got in the way, it could stop it from opening again.

Worth a look.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts