Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a wheelie school yesterday (details in the main section) but I thought I'd raise this issue in Gear.

A guy crashed pretty hard, sliding a bit as he went, and when we all got over to him I noticed that his pants were heading to below-cheek territory. He was wearing some ventilated textile moto pants (First Gear? I'm not sure) that snapped as a waist closure. Well the snap was open and the zipper undone, and a few more feet and these would have been around his ankles.

I've not really thought about the design of the waist closure, but it seems more important now. That plus having pants that zip to a jacket. It was surprising to me how quickly you can lose your pants in a crash.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
you sure it wasn't herb trying to pick up the corner worker?

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
you know, I just bought a pair of first gear pants and I did notice the snap comes undone very easily. I was thinking of addiing a botton or something like that. But I did get my jacket tailored to zip to these pants.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
My Dainese 2-piece has a full-waist-to-jacket zipper.

My Dragon Breeze jacket has a 6" waist-to-jacket zipper. Additionally, there's a metal hook-tab that fastens the front of the pants rather than a button.

I think either of those types of fasteners should work okay. BTW, did you get your monster back from the shop yet?

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
I think either of those types of fasteners should work okay. BTW, did you get your monster back from the shop yet?
I think I'll do the metal hook fastner, the waist to jacket zipper is 21 inches.
And yes my Monster is back from the shop, the can was leaking , they pulled it apart and re-riveted it and I can see they put in some of the stuff they used for the joints. He said if I have any more problems just let him know, had to ride it home in the rain tho, could have trailered it, but why should it get dirty on the trailer, might as well get it dirty with me on it!! Tried out my new JR water proof riding boots, worked well!

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
i think in a pretty good crash i'd have about a 50/50
chance taking care of any clean underwear.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Back to the important topic..... :p

You start discussing about one persons ( who had an accident) coin crack when there is a serious question or debate behind all this....

It is definitely important, as a safety gear to function, to find a system that hooks up top with bottom.

Then again, if You are using jeans, does not really matter that much.

Here (Toscana) You cannot go to the race track unless the system is attached.

Anyway this is definitely something to think about when spending cash.

Skier

·
Registered
413 Posts
Oh man, that's rough. Insult on top of injury.... which just reinforces that old adage, always wear clean underwear.
Haha--- when I first read the title of this post I thought it said:
"Loading your pants in a crash" :)

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
I have reinforced my First Gear pants SO I can't loose them in a crash.
I have added a D-ring fastenining belt, so if for some reason the snap comes un-done I still have " closure"!! ;D

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
How about having some suspenders sewn on?
I just saw a pic with a guy with riding pants and suspenders.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts