Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The rear brake rotor isn't supposed to be loose, is it? When I took off my rear wheel to change the tire I noticed that the brake rotor rattles. I tried to tighten the screws and they wouldn't budge. I tried to loosen them and they still wouldn't budge! I think the previous owner got really hamfisted with the bike since I've found a few parts that are way tighter than they should be a couple with red locktite on them when they should have had blue. :mad: To tell the truth I've been running with the loose rotor for a long time but didn't think anything wrong with it since it was like that when I bought the bike a couple years ago and didn't know any better. :mad:

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Sure it's the stock rotor?

The PO may have 'floated' it somehow...

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have no clue if it's stock or not. I was wondering if it should be that way since I've ridden that way with it that a couple years and haven't had any problems. The previous owner did do a fair amount of performance mods so I wouldn't doubt it being some kind of floated disk mod. The front rotors aren't floated though... My dad noticed it and said something was wrong. The guy at Cycle Rider also said it was loose and should be tightened. I still get adequate braking. I'm also interested in why I can't budge those screws holding it on at all...

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Rotor on the left is a full floating BrakeTech unit.
You can see the spacer, washer and bolt sitting in the center, and the 'assembly' of those parts as well.
Fits into the larger holes of the mounting ears.

Stock rotor and bolt on the right.

this is '02 vintage stuff, but I'm pretty sure the older monsters had the same rotor.

He may have done a shadetree floater by just red-loctiting the bolts in, with them not tight.
I wouldn't do that, but it *has* been working on your bike for a while, so it's not ridiculously wrong.

Or he may have drilled the holes bigger and used a spacer and washer arrangement like the BrakeTech.

I red loctite *very* few things...most of the bolted joints on the Duc are perfectly reliable with no loctite, and I'll use blue on the stuff I'm paranoid about.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you VERY much Speeddog! I've got the left one on my bike. It's pretty much identicle except for the shiny part on mine from use. I can't see much of the bolt on mine but I don't see any threads close to the head. Thank you very much for clearing this up for me. With all the stuff that's going bad on my bike right now it's nice to have one less thing to worry about. I'll just pretend that I don't know I can't take the rotor off and that the bolts are loctited/ rusted on since I don't need to take it off yet anyway.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Cool, bling that you didn't even know you had! [thumbsup]

If/when you need to take the bolts off, stick a punch down into the hex, and give 'em a moderate whack or two with a hammer.
Helps to loosen 'em up.

You may want to apply some penetrating oil first, that helps too.
Just have to clean the rotor and wheel afterward, but that's easy.

When you need new pads, visit the BrakeTech website: http://www.braketech.com/

They've got a couple of compounds that are friendly to iron rotors.
I use the SinterGrip ST, they're pretty grippy.
The Platinums are a little less grippy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts