Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every now and then I hear and feel a strange rattle in the front end of my 620dark and am beginning to think it could be that my headset is a little loose. i've applied the front brake and tried to move the bike back and forth while on it to see if there's any movement but I'm having a hard time deciding if that's it because the front shock moves as well. Is there a better way to tell if the front end is a little loose? Has anyone had this problem? My bike is a 2003 620 with about 4000mi so it's pretty new. Thanks guys.

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
To be able to feel any play without the weight of the bike hiding it, the only way I know is the raise the front end, remove the front wheel, and grab the fork legs near the bottom and try to rock them front to back and side to side.

That way you should be able to feel any play with your hands as the bearings click back and forth with their slack.

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
i can push a motorcycle and lock the front wheel and listen for the typical "clunk" when the stem rocks in the races. or ride slowly and you can hear it, too. just realize that there's a little bit of freedom in the floating rotors, but not enough to "clunk clunk" like the steering stem will. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts