Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my quest to figure out what is wrong with my bike I started looking at the final drive system. First off the chain is WAY too loose. After I remved the little plastic cover over the front sprocket I realized I could wiggle it top back and forth about 2-3mm :eek:
I dont think it should do this, I would guess it should be nice and tight.
I do have my clutch apart, but I dont think that should matter.
Do you think I should remove the sprocket and see whats goin on?

S

·
0 Posts
if the retaining plate is secure to the sprocket, you've got nothing to worry about. a small degree of "play" is perfectly normal.

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
Mine was like that just as it came time for chain and sprockets. If there is red "dust" around the sprocket area that is iron oxide which can abrade the splines on the output shaft which means immdiate attention needed.

The good news is that the play in the sprocket is more likely the locking plate has gotten hammered by the edges of the splines it locks against. If the sprocket is still in good shape, try replacing the locking plate. It's easy to pull it off and check it by itself. Mine had worn almost 1 mm where the splines rubbed one side. Chris hooked me up with a plate along with sprockets and chain but I don't think he stocks them. It only costs about $9 from the dealer.

If you've got the red oxide in there, spray it clean with brake cleaner without aiming at any seals. Then slide the sprocket back and forth enough to put a good film of grease between the sprocket and the splines. Button it up with a new locking plate if needed.

If the sprocket and/or chain is beat, get in touch with Chris at ca-cycleworks. The Afam sprockets he stocks really hug those splines on the shaft. I liked the ones I put on the Monster from him so well, I'm getting the same setup from him for the new BMW toy (yep, BMW has chain and belt drive models) ;D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts